• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

bluemarlin04

Also lets keep in mind there are TONS of people that just dont want to be in the military for a number of reasons after they spend some time in it. Maybe they think the FITREP promotion system is a joke (it is), maybe they aren't trusting of senior leaders (some truth to it), or maybe they just dont want to deploy (valid).

A lot of people commission for different reasons. Pay for graduate school, good salary to start their life, looks stellar on their resume. We shouldn't knock them simply for moving on.

I comissioned cause I needed a job. Simple as that. The officer recruiter sold me on it being a good job to start my life off and the economy was in the gutter at the time and getting a job was difficult. The Navy offered me one so I took it. Had a good civilian opportunity came along I would have took that.

I knew when I commissioned at OCS I was only going to do 4 years and move on. I ended up staying a little longer cause I was offered a good shore duty at year 4 that was non competitive and would offer me a chance to save up some money and "transition".

My friend was an OCS graduate who went to BUDS and became a SEAL. He did two combat deployments with his platoon and realized it wasn't for him and moved on and resigned. He was only in for 4.5 years.

OCS slots for BUDs are EXTREMELY competitive.

That doesn't make him a dirtbag. He simply moved on from something that wasn't for him.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Part of me is thinking OP is just looking to clarify the wording from the instruction, not explicitly stating he plans on doing 3 years SELRES. Unfortunately, OP has not been online since posting, so we may not know for sure.

I've been told and have heard of reserve officers getting through quals and maybe a bit more, then going over to IRR, but there's usually reasons. They got assigned to a different unit and had to fly to the other side of the country 1 or 2 weekends a month. Or it's causing a lot of stress on their family life. Or they lost their job and it's causing difficulties at their next job. Or they became indifferent spending 4-5 years just to be eligible to MOB because that's how long the particular qualification program and other requirements are. Lots more reasons.

From what I understood they had logical reasons. As someone on this forum once quipped, "drill pay is not worth alimony". Even if it's 4+ years in the Reserve, that's still 4+ years of time passing. There's just a lot more going on in most reserve officers' lives at 30 and staying in for 4+ years than when they were 22 and fresh out of college with little to nothing established, in my opinion. With that said, I'm neither promoting nor opposing this kind of decision, but lots of things may happen in life that lead to it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You have been in the military for what? couple years? Have you even done a deployment or spent a day on active duty?

You are very condescending about service and peoples reason.
You’re making my point for me. Why would it matter whether or not I had done any of those things, since you said you support those who only do the minimum required by the Navy?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That doesn't make him a dirtbag. He simply moved on from something that wasn't for him.
Apples and oranges. I am talking about non prior service DCO reservists who never do a single deployment before going IRR at year ~3 after commissioning. They consume their community’s training resources and leave SELRES before putting any of the training to use.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am talking about non prior service DCO reservists who never do a single deployment before going IRR at year ~3 after commissioning. They consume their community’s training resources and leave SELRES before putting any of the training to use.
Who gives a f*ck?? INTEL/CW/IP designators are in a training status (i.e., cannot be mobilized) until they complete their quals (36 months). Also, I've been in the Reserve for about 10 years across two designators and have never MOB'd (I deployed in perpetuity while on active duty) despite being at or near the top of the national MOB list the entire time.

bluemarlin04

I do find it odd that the reserves dont mobilize individuals as ENS/JG.

On active duty you are almost always sent to a sea duty as an ENS/JG/LT and they deploy you unqualified or not.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor

On active duty you are almost always sent to a sea duty as an ENS/JG/LT and they deploy you unqualified or not.
As a Reserve officer, you are not eligible for mobilization until you are fully qualified in your designator (i.e., your respective PQS). It's not odd. Sea Duty deployments are not the same as deploying to the sandbox as an Intel officer, for example.

If you are an O1/O2 assigned to ships company, you do your regular yearly deployment during which you work on your various quals. But you are part of ships company.

bluemarlin04

As a Reserve officer, you are not eligible for mobilization until you are fully qualified in your designator (i.e., your respective PQS). It's not odd. Sea Duty deployments are not the same as deploying to the sandbox as an Intel officer, for example.

If you are an O1/O2 assigned to ships company, you do your regular yearly deployment during which you work on your various quals. But you are part of ships company.

I guess I meant it in the way that the contract for a reserve officer is so short that they would keep mobilizations on the table and do away with the mobilization eligibility requirement.

The IW qualification is a joke anyway. I don't think you need to be qualified on it to do "intel" work.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I guess I meant it in the way that the contract for a reserve officer is so short that they would keep mobilizations on the table and do away with the mobilization eligibility requirement.

The IW qualification is a joke anyway. I don't think you need to be qualified on it to do "intel" work.
IDWO pin qualification is separate from the designator specific PQS for each designator. IDWO PQS is not required for mobilization, only PQS completion for your individual designator.

Ask questions, don't post edicts.

bluemarlin04

IDWO pin qualification is separate from the designator specific PQS for each designator. IDWO PQS is not required for mobilization, only PQS completion for your individual designator.

Ask questions, don't post edicts.
It wasn't an edict. My point stands.

The qualification process for an 1835 is simply rote memorization. It should not be a mandatory requirement to mobilize. Which was my point.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Not entirely true. A member in my old unit mob'ed as an IA as soon as his training was done, he Mob'ed as an ENS.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am not going to question anyone's motivation to serve. The fact of the matter is that someone who does serve has voluntarily raised their hand and signed the paper, and put on the uniform. The fact of the matter is that the Reserve loves high profile selectees (Congressmen, Senators, business executives, et al.) because it increases the image of the program which, in turn, increases the pool of applicants which, raises the bar in terms of competitiveness for selection. Also, per the DCO instruction, which references OPNAVINST 1120.3B, the CNO N1 approves high profile applicants.

BT

Not entirely true. A member in my old unit mob'ed as an IA as soon as his training was done, he Mob'ed as an ENS.
The ENS was mobilized because the ENS completed their PQS which took them out of a training status (i.e., MAS-IMS Code TBH is removed from their record). We get a few folks now an then who think they are going to get mega bonus points for completing their PQS in record time. But, some want to finish fast so they can deploy. Others finish fast because they are trying to impress.

The qualification process for an 1835 is simply rote memorization. It should not be a mandatory requirement to mobilize. Which was my point.
I agree, however, the Navy is not going to send a Reservist on an IA unless the Reservist has a baseline level of qualification -- now matter how easy or [insert adjective] it is. The Navy currently accomplishes this baseline level of qualification by way of designator specific Personnel Qualification Standards (PQS). The DoD does the same thing for the cyber workforce with the DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications.

I’d like to point to something tangible. Do you (or anyone) have a DCO board convening order, or a DCO board letter of instruction?
I posted the DCO instruction and Program Authorizations in another thread. Key take away from the DCO instruction, my emphasis:

f. Retention Considerations. Interviewers should appraise each applicant’s potential as career IWC naval officers and probability for service in the Navy Reserve beyond their initial commissioning service obligation.

Last edited: