• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

bluemarlin04

Also ensure that you are given an EP if there is no limitations.

Otherwise, an air gap looks very obvious to the board and you are dead on arrival.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

If reservists don't have to get mobilized. That is absolutely a good thing.

I agree with respect to involuntary MOBs, but if you're looking to volunteer and there's no more than a few opportunities for your community and none you qualify for (for example, one for O-4s and up) beyond your required qualification plan, what can you do?

use the training at least once (low bar for success, I know) by doing a short mob or ADSW.

I know about the AD Portal for ADSW, ADT, etc., and I know about the MOB sharepoint page (which unfortunately gives no details about each available MOB), but are there some other resources to which you are alluding?

Correct, and each designator has different training requirements. Some take longer than others to attain.

This is certainly true, and ED may have the longest since you have to be O-3, aside from class availability and funding considerations for the various qualifications. Someone mentioned an ENS in Supply being able to mobilize, but ED is a good 4-5 years before you can think about it.

You want to transfer units because are moving cross country

You can also be involuntarily transferred to a different unit. There's cases I've been told of O-3s or higher ordered to be the XO or CO at a far away remote unit, and suddenly they find themselves flying out 1-2 times a month.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Your Fitreps absolutely matter going back to your first command. They will look at your block 41 recommendations. What positions you were in (i.e. Ops, etc). Where you fell against RSCA, Group Average, how many ranked against, etc.
I heard that the O-4 selection board only looks at your past 5 years of FITREPs. Maybe I have bad gouge, though.

bluemarlin04

I agree with respect to involuntary MOBs, but if you're looking to volunteer and there's no more than a few opportunities for your community and none you qualify for (for example, one for O-4s and up) beyond your required qualification plan, what can you do?

If you wanted to be active duty and volunteer for active duty positions, should have joined active duty.

Can't have benefits of being a reservist AND the benefits of being active duty. Something has to give on either side.

Join Active and your entire life is owned by the Navy. Join reserves and your life isn't owned and you get your thing going but you won't get much opportunity in the Navy.

Urchin263

If you wanted to be active duty and volunteer for active duty positions, should have joined active duty.

Can't have benefits of being a reservist AND the benefits of being active duty. Something has to give on either side.

Join Active and your entire life is owned by the Navy. Join reserves and your life isn't owned and you get your thing going but you won't get much opportunity in the Navy.

You must have never been in a Cargo battalion. Have two full-time jobs and get paid for one of them (well, assuming you also have a full time job on the civilian side).

Urchin263

That timeline would never happen unless the person is an active duty officer who switches to SELRES. We’re talking about non prior service direct commission officers who dangle their toe in the Navy for long enough to put it on a resume but not long enough to complete their initial PQS training and use the training at least once (low bar for success, I know) by doing a short mob or ADSW. So all their Navy time was spent in training as an oxygen thief, and right around LTJG they’ve already pre-planned to drop to the IRR permanently before the Navy even gets a chance to mob them. (This is not the same as the Navy choosing to kick someone out/ let them walk, such as a flight attrite.)

For a brand new 18X5, they would not hit involuntary 2x FOS separation until year ~11 roughly, and the Navy would have had plenty of chances to mob them over the last 7-8 of those 11 years. I don’t fault those people at all if they never were asked to mob (the Navy had its chance). Keep in mind that new 18X5s aren’t even eligible to mob or take ADSW orders until after 36 mo (or 48 mo).

Even new nurses/doctors who commission at O-3 or O-4 would have ~6 years before they could hit 2x FOS. And, they do mob quite a bit.

I really wanted to just make one post responding to both people, I promise I did. I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Anyway, I only have experience with the 3105 community, but I have to disagree with your statement that the timeline couldn't happen.

October 2011 - Commission (non-prior)
August 2013 - Finish BQC, become "official" 3105
April 2015 - Start mob
December 2015 - Finish mob
August 2018 - Start mob
June 2019 - Finish mob
June 2020 - First non-select
June 2021 - Second non-select.

Not too difficult.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
You must have never been in a Cargo battalion. Have two full-time jobs and get paid for one of them (well, assuming you also have a full time job on the civilian side).

Not in a NCHB, but know from others who are/have been it is a FULL-TIME job trying to heard all those cats. Forget about the 1 weekend a month, you are working every flippin day.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I heard that the O-4 selection board only looks at your past 5 years of FITREPs. Maybe I have bad gouge, though.

I've had other JOs tell me this same, but I didn't believe it. They said "just put anything down on your FITREP, no one cares as an O1-O2..."

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I really wanted to just make one post responding to both people, I promise I did. I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Anyway, I only have experience with the 3105 community, but I have to disagree with your statement that the timeline couldn't happen.

April 2015 - Start mob
December 2015 - Finish mob
August 2018 - Start mob
June 2019 - Finish mob
June 2020 - First non-select
June 2021 - Second non-select.

Not too difficult.
I think we may be talking about different things. Your timeline shows 10 years of commissioned service, all in SELRES.

The original poster is talking about 3 years of commissioned service before quitting, and he is planning to quit on or about the same time he gets qual’d - which wouldn’t give him or the Navy any opportunity to utilize that training.

Here is what he said he intends to do:

October 2014 - Drop to IRR

bluemarlin04

I've had other JOs tell me this same, but I didn't believe it. They said "just put anything down on your FITREP, no one cares as an O1-O2..."

click on Promotion Board Brief. Gives a good rundown of what they look at.

The only lines on a FITREP block 41 that really matter are the breakout and closing lines. Example "My number 2 of 14 highly comptetive junior officers", "My number 15 of 70 junior staff officers at a COCOM", "Your guarantee below zone select, press 100 now." etc, etc.

Aside from block 41 your trait average in relation to the group and reporting seniors matters. If you are an ENS or JG there is no reason they cannot give you a soft breakout and put you above RSCA. Being put above and a solid soft breakout helps immensely. Especially in a community with no real path like SWO or Aviator.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Here is what he said he intends to do:

October 2014 - Drop to IRR
So what? He's finished his OBLISERV and it's nobody's business what he does. People need to stop splitting hairs and acting so self-righteous.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I've sat on selection boards as an Assistant Recorder. The briefer for your designator group absolutely reviews everyone one of your graded (i.e., O3) FITREPs. If you have some stain in your write-ups in your FITREPs from O1 - O2, you better make sure you are working to make yourself stand out as a top officer.

During my time as an Assistant Recorder I've read well over 1,000 FITREPs. And yes, many, many CO's really suck at writing FITREPs leaving the briefer to wonder what the hell the CO was trying to convey.

Take charge of your FITREPs and write ups. Make the CO's job easy. If you submit a draft write up for chop that says you are the second coming of [deity], and the CO signs it, good for you :)

FITREPs are written in a vacuum and boards do not verify anything in the write up. I've seen some doozies.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

That brief reaffirms the "only past 5 years worth of FITREPs" gouge.

– Verify regular FITREP continuity for previous 5 years
– Verify OSR/PSR accurately reflects FITREP grades and promotion
recommendations for the previous 5 years

I think you are misunderstanding these bullets.

This doesnt mean that the board is not going to see your ENS/JG averages on your record that is displayed to the tank and they will aboslutely matter.

If you are getting put well below RSCA with no trend as an ENS or JG it is going to be a huge red flag to the board. Alternatively if you are getting put well above RSCA you are going to stand out to the board.