• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I attended an PRODEV day for 3105s recently and they had a graphic showing deployment % by rank. Nearly every 3105 (Reserve SUPPO) by the time they reach O-5 has deployed at least once. I'd have to look through my notes to get the details by rank.

bluemarlin04

I attended an PRODEV day for 3105s recently and they had a graphic showing deployment % by rank. Nearly every 3105 (Reserve SUPPO) by the time they reach O-5 has deployed at least once. I'd have to look through my notes to get the details by rank.

Yes. That’s expected.

But which ones were voluntary and which ones were involuntary.

We all know people who volunteered cause their names were coming up short on the list but how many actually didn’t volunteer and were sent somewhere.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Eventually though, you will get called (likely at O-3).
Again, no.

Are there so few mob’s that a SELRES LT (who is fully mobilization ready with no med holds) could reach 2x FOS for LCDR without ever being asked to mob?
2XFOS has nothing to do with MOB'ing and MOB'ing is no guarantee that you will select.

I personally know two 1835's who both MOB'd and who both 2XFOS for O4. Why? Their records sucked (they were not doing the other stuff important for selection. Read the community brief). A MOB does not fix a broken record. I have sat on selection boards as an Assistant Recorder and got to scrub records and then watch voting. It's eye opening.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That still counts as a non-vol in the system, and counts toward your mob:dwell ratio. I think we should be counting those mob's as actual mob's.
The Noble Eagle (NE) mobilizations for which people either volunteer or who are randomly tagged are under the same Title 10 U.S. Code § 12302 authority.

There is no difference.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I attended an PRODEV day for 3105s recently and they had a graphic showing deployment % by rank. Nearly every 3105 (Reserve SUPPO) by the time they reach O-5 has deployed at least once.
That happens some times. Depends on timing and circumstance.

All O6 IP's have MOB'd at least twice in their Reserve career and they are all b*tt hurt about it.

bluemarlin04

That still counts as a non-vol in the system, and counts toward your mob:dwell ratio. I think we should be counting those mob's as actual mob's.
Yea it counts. But we were talking about if it is mandatory.

The point being that there are senior officers with no mobilizations because they didn’t get tagged.

You could realistically make it al the way to zone for CDR without being mobilized if you don’t volunteer.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The point being that there are senior officers with no mobilizations because they didn’t get tagged. You could realistically make it al the way to zone for CDR without being mobilized if you don’t volunteer.
Correct. And nothing wrong with this. If MOB was compulsory for promotion, then the Navy would make it as such. But, it's not.

There are many who think that volunteering for a MOB is their golden ticket to promotion, and it's not. There is more to promoting that MOB'ing, and this includes being a Naval Officer with superior sustained performance in a group. This means getting the following in your FITREPs:
  • Varying your billets and traveling on your own dime if necessary to go to a good billet/unit
  • Not homesteading in the same unit
    • I see people do this all of the time
  • Doing the "Dept Head" jobs and getting it on your FITREP: Admin Officer, Training Officer, Ops Officer
  • Professional development
    • Obviously completing your PQS and IDWO completed
    • Getting in to Division Officer Leadership Course or other leadership course
    • Attending Symposium's for your designator
  • Being involved in your designator community and regional staff (call them and ask if they need any help; sit on DCO panel interviews)
At least on the 1835 side, I saw too many people who wanted to "play" NSW/SF/HUMINT and not do this other less high speed stuff.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

I agree. Mobilizations shouldn't be required. Esp since they are reservists. If reservists want active duty time than should have joined active duty.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I agree. Mobilizations shouldn't be required. Esp since they are reservists. If reservists want active duty time than should have joined active duty.
The issue is that mobilizations were intended to solve short-term manning issues during times of emergency. That is, mobilization billet X is not supposed to be continually filled year after year because this identifies that it is an area for an active duty body (i.e., a manning problem), which is how mobilizations have been used and abused over the years.

Case in point, Millington, TN. Yes, there has been, since at least 2009, a group of Noble Eagle coded mobilization billets at PERS supporting the Navy-Marine Corps Mobilization Processing System (NMCMPS). The billets are for several Enlisted (typically IT's) as well as for one Officer (typically an IP). Rather than fill this with permanent active duty bodies, PERS is abusing the mobilization system and filling it with Reservists, year after year for at least the last 10 years.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

but if you join the military there should be some level of sacrifice in the interest of the country.

I would advocate for reservists having the opportunity to knock out all their quals and be mobilizable as fast as possible with respect to course availability and related factors. Maybe it's different in IWC and other communities, but at least in ED, it doesn't appear to be the case and requires putting on LT and getting through quals before being mobilizable. Waiting 4-5 years to be able to do anything isn't ideal by any means. It isn't exactly SWO where you finish NROTC and you're off to your first ship.

Reserves usually augment joint units overseas but even than there is very few mobilizations to go around. ADSW funding is so minimal right now as well.

This is something I've been learning. Not very many officer MOB and ADSW opportunities available for a given designator, and hearing cases of officers pulling teeth for bottom-of-the-barrel MOBs in Djibouti. Oddly enough, I was repeatedly told coming in that MOB/ADSW opportunities abound. The situation may get "worse" seeing as the government is striving to scale back in Afghanistan, Syria, and Yemen.

Urchin263

A flawed system doesn't excuse a person who is taking advantage of it. Just because it's possible to leech off the government doesn't mean it should be celebrated or that the individual isn't responsible for their choice. I'm not naive to the fact that it happens and sometimes even benefits the Navy, but that doesn't make it right, especially in the eyes of those who have actually sacrificed, fought, and died in uniform.

So yeah, it pisses me off.

I'm flat out terrible at this forum, but I'm trying. So how do you guys feel about someone who joined the Reserves, "tried real hard" (in terms of "doing what he was supposed to do"), mobbed twice in 3 years, and 2XFOS because his CO thought he was a dirtbag? Does that piss you off too, or is that OK because the Navy got their money's worth?

I mean, in the first situation the guy is (in theory) getting everything he wanted, in the second situation the Navy is (I imagine) getting everything they wanted.

Sometimes you are the windshield, and sometimes you are the bug. I have a real tough time blaming the guy who knows what he wants to get out of the Navy and gets it, kind of seems like a smart move to me.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So how do you guys feel about someone who joined the Reserves, "tried real hard" (in terms of "doing what he was supposed to do"), mobbed twice in 3 years, and 2XFOS because his CO thought he was a dirtbag? Does that piss you off too, or is that OK because the Navy got their money's worth?
That timeline would never happen unless the person is an active duty officer who switches to SELRES. We’re talking about non prior service direct commission officers who dangle their toe in the Navy for long enough to put it on a resume but not long enough to complete their initial PQS training and use the training at least once (low bar for success, I know) by doing a short mob or ADSW. So all their Navy time was spent in training as an oxygen thief, and right around LTJG they’ve already pre-planned to drop to the IRR permanently before the Navy even gets a chance to mob them. (This is not the same as the Navy choosing to kick someone out/ let them walk, such as a flight attrite.)

For a brand new 18X5, they would not hit involuntary 2x FOS separation until year ~11 roughly, and the Navy would have had plenty of chances to mob them over the last 7-8 of those 11 years. I don’t fault those people at all if they never were asked to mob (the Navy had its chance). Keep in mind that new 18X5s aren’t even eligible to mob or take ADSW orders until after 36 mo (or 48 mo).

Even new nurses/doctors who commission at O-3 or O-4 would have ~6 years before they could hit 2x FOS. And, they do mob quite a bit.

Last edited: