• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

CheckCharlie

per BUPERSINST 1001.39F, Chapter 1, Section 104
"minimum participation requirements to remain in an Active Status in the Navy Reserve...NAVPERSCOM (PERS-911/913) may transfer members who have completed their initial MSO and who are not earning sufficient retirement point credit to the USNR-S2 [inactive]...Officers with fewer than 20 years of qualifying service, computed as of the date of the screening, must earn at least 27 points, including membership points, each anniversary year to remain in an active status."

If I'm considering a DCO program authorization with a service obligation of 3 years SELRES and 8 years Ready Reserve, can anyone elaborate how the 27 point requirement applies at, for example, year 5 when transferred out of SELRES and into IRR-ASP to finish the 8 years initial MSO? I feel like I have my wires all crossed and I'm missing something.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
All 27 pts does is prevent them from kicking you out, but it DOES NOT earn you a good year towards your 20 years of qualifying service. You need 35 pts for the year to be a "Good Year".

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you are non prior service, looking to take one of a handful of DCO slots, and already planning to ditch SELRES after just 3 years, then some people might call you a dirtbag.

subreservist

All 27 pts does is prevent them from kicking you out, but it DOES NOT earn you a good year towards your 20 years of qualifying service. You need 35 pts for the year to be a "Good Year".

Technically, 50 but I get the notion...35 points on the individual with 15 in gratuity.

If you are non prior service, looking to take one of a handful of DCO slots, and already planning to ditch SELRES after just 3 years, then some people might call you a dirtbag.

To be fair, doing the 3 years IS completing that portion of the obligation. Should one desire to come out of SELRES, they met their commitment. If the Navy wants more, just put it in the contract.

If I'm considering a DCO program authorization with a service obligation of 3 years SELRES and 8 years Ready Reserve, can anyone elaborate how the 27 point requirement applies at, for example, year 5 when transferred out of SELRES and into IRR-ASP to finish the 8 years initial MSO? I feel like I have my wires all crossed and I'm missing something.

At year 5 , it doesn't matter what your points are. You have an 8 year minimum obligation, of which 3 years SELRES and the rest however you want it to be. Stay in SELRES...go IRR...doesn't matter. If you choose IRR, they will not require you to get points. At the same time, the 27 points thing doesn't matter; they will keep you on the books with 0 points per year until your 8 year obligation is up.

After your 8 years, they no longer need you on the books, so they look at your yearly points after that. If you are failing to get the 27 points AFTER your MSO, they eventually get around to discharging you.

Just keep in mind, that should you do this (0 points) and change your mind and decide to pursue retirement, those years will be "bad years" and too many of those will screw you later. If you even remotely desire to obtain retirement, you need to get 50 (35+15) points at every opportunity.

bluemarlin04

Why?

They met his minimum requirements. Like someone else said- don’t get mad at the individual it’s the Navy’s fault.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Having been in this game for a long time, first starting on active duty, this scenario does not qualify for dirtbag status. You may not agree with the OP's COA, but no one cares, in all honesty.

There are multiple ways to cut the pie.

bluemarlin04

Tons of the people in the IWC are straight politicians looking to pad their resume. If you think they joined cause they love intel work than you’re kidding yourself.

Same things happen on active duty. Out of my active duty NIOBC class only a few are still left on active duty or the reserves

bluemarlin04

So what. Blame the Navy not the person availing themselves to the process.
It doesn't bother me at all.

I was making a point that people join for different reasons. And for someone to call said individuals dirtbags for only wanting to do the minimum time and move on in life is ridiculous. They did their minimum and what was required. And like you said, they should take that up with the navy.