• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Milton/Whiting Road Cyclists

helo_wifey

Yeah, been to the mtbr site. It's a good resource.

It's definitely going to be a change of pace from riding here in Japan, and riding in So Cal before we were here.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Agreed. Those interested can sign up for the "Milton/Whiting Road Cyclists" group on mapmyride.com. The link to join is here: http://www.mapmyride.com/community/groups/802124714037/join.

You have to be a mapmyride.com/mapmyrun.com member to join the group, but it's free to join those websites. We can use the group tool to post rides and discuss good times, etc. I've already linked to the group a few good area routes that random folks have already posted on the site.

I know there's equal if not greater interest in an MTB/XC group. Since I don't know anything about those cycling disciplines, I won't be organizing anything for them.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Despite my earlier comments about them, I'm going to join the Truly Spokin' group this Saturday AM, and will split off or not depending on how things go. Meet at 0730 at their location in Milton, on the Blackwater rec path. I'll be the big guy (for a cyclist) on a Fuji w/ black wheels.

Further ride announcements and details will be posted on the MapMyRide.com group site posted above. They have some pretty good tools for that.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Just wish I had got bit by the cycling bug when I was in Pensacola though I loved the group rides in VA beach through farm country with no traffic on Saturday mornings. If you find yourself there go Hit Fat Frogs down south near damn neck. Huge rides with A, B, C groups and the rides through farm country were scenic.

I would say if your going to get something spend the money to get something good which i learned the hard way from my road bike since I spent as much to buy a used one and get it fitted as I would have to get a new one though I dont ride trails enough to buy a nice MTB since I prefer being a roadie.

I ride a Kona Four Supreme which is pretty top of the line. It retails for $3000 but I didn't pay that much since I got a team discount on it. This is my first FS bike and I am not sure I really like it. Even with the nice rear Fox RP23 shock I still feel a lot of power being lost in the pedals.
With the pedals (eggbeaters) and tubeless tires filled with stans. it comes in at about 25.5lbs. That is lighter than most hardtails out there...

This is my first FS bike and its a love hate kind of thing. The average XC type trail you have no need for a FS and you just lose "pedal power" in the suspension. So generally when I am riding I have it locked out. However, when you are on a more technical trail with some fast descents or drops the FS is worth it. I still miss my old bike which was a Kona Kula Primo (hardtail) but oddly enough it is the same weight as my new bike (but about a grand difference in price).

I agree with the Full suspension being a bit of pain when on XC trails. I ended up having to make mine a lot stiffer when I was doing a ride a couple of weeks ago. I love the eggbeaters though. My buddy was getting rid of his old set and gave them to me, I liked them so much I put them on both my road and mountain bike.

As for a great place to ride XC Mountain I would suggest the Virginia Creeper Trail in extreme western virginia (despite its distance from alabama). Its a 34 mile long railroad right of way that the state converted to a bike/hiking trail. Most of it is pretty flat though there is about a 26 mile climb to the top of Whitetop mountain 1700 feet of climbing ( I started at mile 15 and went up) with the toughest being the last 5 miles with 500 feet of climbing. Ill tell you that climb doesen't look tough on the map but its a killer. I wanted to do the whole trail in one day (64 Miles total) but I cramped up after only 16 miles going uphill though I managed to gut it out to get back around 34 miles.

http://www.vacreepertrail.com/trailMaps/CreeperTrail.pdf
CreeperTrail.pdf