• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Milton housing

MGoBrew11

pilot
Hey all,

I'm moving to Milton shortly for helo advanced and was looking for suggestions on places to live. Airwarriors hasn't steered me wrong yet when it comes to housing.

I'm hoping for a place that is within 25 min to work and a reasonable drive to downtown Pcola/Pcola beach. Being close to work is more important than being close to fun if need be.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Being close to work is more important than being close to fun if need be.

I used to think this way, but I now think you should commute to work and live near the fun. You SHALL go to work, you SHOULD have fun. If you need to commute to fun, you will have less of it.

I think this goes for the rest of your career as well...be sure to have fun. Luck, Skill, Timing...you can only control one, so if you are not having fun, your career might suck!

All that being said, try to live your desired commute time/dist away from whiting right along Berryhill road. This keeps your commute away from the busier roads to the south but keeps you fairly close to the "back" way to Pensacola and I-10. I am coming back to the area for my third tour. Lived in Pensacola the first, Milton the second, now I will live in east hill. YMMV

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Echoing above. Also, as mentioned, Governor's Gate is an awesome apartment complex. I like Majestic Oaks and I've heard good things about Kings Mill (these places are all within ~5 minutes of each other). I think Majestic Oaks is the furthest mentioned from NAS Whiting Field and it still takes only 30 – 35 minutes to get there. It may just not jell with my sensibilities, but I couldn't imagine living in Milton.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
^Yup, Kings Mill is pretty good too. There's also Crestview at Oakleigh in that same area, just down the street from KM. All these places are pretty similar, gated communities with nice facilities, fitness centers, pools, etc. You're like five minutes from Target, and there's a bunch of fast food nearby when you don't feel like cooking. And a Panera when you feel like eating fancy-ass fast food. Roughly a half hour to Milton, roughly a half hour to downtown P'Cola.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Thread revival.

I am looking for a house in the Pace area for helo advanced. After much research and Google/Yelp reviewing I have come to the conclusion that all property managers are predatory towards military renters.

Has anybody had recent positive experiences they would be willing to share?

I had a positive experience with MyHomeSpot.com when I was in Pensacola for API, but they do not have anything I am interested in at this time.

Thanks.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thread revival.

I am looking for a house in the Pace area for helo advanced. After much research and Google/Yelp reviewing I have come to the conclusion that all property managers are predatory towards military renters.

Care to elaborate?

I lived off and on in PCola for 14 years. No way I could do Milton or Pace. Cantonment is ok, the redeeming feature for flight students are the coeds at UWF. The traffic is much too bad for Gulf Breeze. North Hill (expensive - old money) is very nice but East Hill stretching south to the Seville Quarter Complex is probably the best bet (less expensive - more laid back). Lot of restaurants (City Grocery, Ozones, Fish House, etc)

Last edited:

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I've read numerous reports of renters having issues with houses being filthy on move in (which I also experienced), having trouble getting both large/small repairs handled per lease, and then being gouged after move out for minor issues or having to threaten small claims court to recoup security deposits.

Yes, I am aware that a significantly higher proportion of people write bad reviews than positive. And it is hard to believe that all the poor ratings are from "the bad renters".

http://www.yelp.com/biz/era-old-south-properties-pensacola

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pcs-real-estate-solutions-milton

http://www.yelp.com/biz/weeks-realty-pace

...etc. (I couldn't figure out how to link google reviews. I also didn't try that hard.)

I grew up in a small town, and had a house prior to the military. Looking to get back to that. I'm in an apartment here in Corpus and its ok, but for the price difference I can get a decent 3/2 with a buddy and still bank a good portion of the BAH and not have to drive 40+ish minutes to work everyday. Just personal wants.

I totally understand the whole drive to work, walk/stumble to play. But the one or two nights a weekend I go out won't be the deciding factor for where I live. That's what taxis and Uber are for.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I've read numerous reports of renters having issues with houses being filthy on move in (which I also experienced), having trouble getting both large/small repairs handled per lease, and then being gouged after move out for minor issues or having to threaten small claims court to recoup security deposits.

Yes, I am aware that a significantly higher proportion of people write bad reviews than positive. And it is hard to believe that all the poor ratings are from "the bad renters".

http://www.yelp.com/biz/era-old-south-properties-pensacola

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pcs-real-estate-solutions-milton

http://www.yelp.com/biz/weeks-realty-pace

...etc. (I couldn't figure out how to link google reviews. I also didn't try that hard.)

I grew up in a small town, and had a house prior to the military. Looking to get back to that. I'm in an apartment here in Corpus and its ok, but for the price difference I can get a decent 3/2 with a buddy and still bank a good portion of the BAH and not have to drive 40+ish minutes to work everyday. Just personal wants.

I totally understand the whole drive to work, walk/stumble to play. But the one or two nights a weekend I go out won't be the deciding factor for where I live. That's what taxis and Uber are for.

Don't feel bad, the property managers are probably gouging the owners as well...

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
From an owners perspective:
I know how it looked before "you" moved in, because I did my own walk through.

I get an email saying the faucet broke and I have to pay for it while you are in he property...I have owned many homes and have never broken a faucet through normal use. As a renter you have an accident, but don't want to fix it, so you either say it just broke, or you cover it up and hope it is missed on move out. This may not be indicative of YOU but I have to spit money into "maintaining" my property when people are less responsible because it is not theirs.

Long story short, YOU may care, but many students (typical tenants) are usually new to home ownership and treat our houses like a crappy apartment (visualize dog bite marks on ALL trim around the house...your one month deposit will not even cover that and I don't want to take you to court to cover it).

I have had no real problems with my property manager, mostly because I am very proactive.