• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military College Graduate looking to go OCS

Hello, my name is Preston Huntington, I recently just graduated from Norwich University the Military College of Vermont with a Bachelors Degree in History. I spent four years in the Corps of Cadets, participated in many different clubs and special units within the Corps. I held some pretty important jobs within the school, as well I developed a document that was published by the school on U.S. Grand Strategy and Military Force Realignment, earning the opportunity to speak at some prestigious conferences (including briefing the commencement speaker General Alexander (previous Director of the NSA). I spent four years in Navy/Marine Corps ROTC yet was not on scholarship and was not competitive enough to earn one while a student.

While what I've written sounds nice, I have a detracting factor I'm worried about. My GPA was just below a 2.5 cumulative (although this past year as a Senior, both semesters were just below a 3.0). I was wondering realistically how much this may or may not affect my chances of earning a slot to go to OCS. In terms of what MOS I'm looking at, leaning more towards Logistics/Intelligence Officer.

Any help or insight would be appreciated thanks!

Fallonflyr

pilot
Realistically what you need to do is put in a package. The selection process will let you know what your chances are. Asking a forum will get you a lot of opinions and anecdotes but unless you submit a package your chances are zero.

JonTay

It won't help but I wouldn't say it's a dealbreaker. Slots are getting pretty few and far between, but those extracurriculars will help immensely. The competition and number off slots available differ per region, so talk with your OSO ASAP and get a package in.

After you get selected, GPA doesn't matter anymore. Intel is pretty tough to get because of how few slots there are, but your GPA wont hurt you there.

Renegade One

None
I may be wrong, but my understanding is the Norwich has historically been mostly connected to Army commissions in the cavalry…now Armor, I suppose, or perhaps anything else. The Army is also an honorable profession…our oldest of the military services…but you probably know that already. While you're putting in packages…don't limit yourself to only one service. Dance with the one that invites you to the Prom…if that makes any sense. ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the past for ROTC selection they 'weighted' the GPA for military colleges when it came to selection, I am not sure they do the same for OCS applicants. I would still try to apply if you meet the GPA mins, never hurts to try.