• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Militants are getting desperate... New hostage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

The newest hostage:
IRAQ_SOLDIER.sff_LON128_20050201125054.jpg

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- The U.S. military said Tuesday that no American soldiers have been reported missing in Iraq after a Web statement claimed that an American soldier had been taken hostage.

The authenticity of the statement and photo, purporting to show a hostage with a gun to his head, could not be verified, and questions were raised about the photo's authenticity.

In Baghdad, Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad said "no units have reported anyone missing."

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carries militants' statements, included a photo of what that statement said was an American soldier, wearing desert fatigues and seated on a concrete floor with his hands tied behind his back.

The figure in the photo appeared stiff and expressionless.

Liam Cusack, of the toy manufacturer Dragon Models USA, Inc., said the image of the soldier portrayed in the photo bore a striking resemblance to a military action figure made by the company.

In the photo, a gun barrel was pointed at the head of the man's figure, and behind him on the wall was a black banner emblazoned with the Islamic profession of faith, "There is no god but God and Muhammad is His prophet."

A statement posted with the picture suggested the group was holding other soldiers.

"Our mujahedeen heroes of Iraq's Jihadi Battalion were able to capture American military man John Adam after killing a number of his comrades and capturing the rest," said the statement, signed by the "Mujahedeen Brigades."

The posting did not show any ID card for the alleged captive and no organization's name was written on the black banner, as have appeared in some past claims of kidnappings. The man's uniform had no U.S. insignia or names visible.

The Mujahedeen Brigades have claimed responsibility for two kidnappings in the past -- the abduction in April of three Japanese who were released and that of a Brazilian engineer who went missing after an ambush that the Brigades claimed to have carried out along with the Ansar al-Sunnah Army.

More than 180 foreigners have been kidnapped in the past year. At least 10 of them, including three American civilians, remain in the hands of their kidnappers.

The only American soldier known to have been taken hostage is Pfc. Keith M. Maupin, 20, of Batavia, Ohio, who was shown in a video in April being held by militants. Another video aired in June showed what purported to be Maupin's slaying, but the picture was too unclear to confirm it was him and the military still lists him as missing.

Marine Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun went missing in Iraq in June and later photos surfaced on Arab television showing him blindfolded with a sword to his head. In July he made his way to the U.S. Embassy in Beirut. Back in the United States, he said he had been captured, but in December he was charged with desertion for the incident.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/02/01/iraq.hostage.ap/index.html

toy.jpg

toyhead.jpg

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
OMG that is extremely sad and hilarious at the same time. What I want to know is why on earth would they even do such a thing. I didn't think they were that desperate, but it looks like I was wrong. I know there haven't been that many kidnappings since we took Falluja but this is REDICULUS!! Just goes to show you can't believe everything on the Internet or most of what these people say. They also tried to claim that they shot down a British C-130, which turned out to be false.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe it wasn't the insurgents that posted it. I believe the webstie was favored by several insurgent groups for postings but that doesn't mean some 14 year old on Iowa (Akafieldman) or some drunkard in Chile (hmmmm....I wonder who.... :D ) didn't do it.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Well, if it was a hoax, it was inspired. If it's not a hoax, it's so sad as to reach new levels of sad. The insurgents must really be desperate.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know someone on another forum who is going to use his action figures to stage a rescue...

Status
Not open for further replies.