• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

twidget

Deskaholic
Are Officer Candidates required to learn Enlisted ratings as well as rank structure? On the OTCP OCS website it lists "Enlisted Rank Structure" with a link to another Navy site that has titles and pictures. Enlisted rates are also shown on this page, does this imply that ratings and their insignia must by memorized as well? Just trying to figure out how big my stack of flashcards will finally be. It's pretty thick already. ;)

At least, as an Enlisted, I've got a good headstart already. It's just the Seabee and Aviation rates I'll have to brush up on.

Thanks in advance.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Twidget, ratings are gone over in one of the classes. It wasn't until I had that class that I under stood why my class chief was called "ETC" instead of "CPO". OCS isn't that sadistic, you just need to know that a E-8 is a Senior Chief Petty Officer, and an E-5 is Second Class Petty Officer, etc.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
mlj0215 said:
Make sure to know which way the "crow" is facing.

Yeah, call it a "crow" when they ask you some time, that'll go over real well.

mlj0215

PropStop said:
Yeah, call it a "crow" when they ask you some time, that'll go over real well.

Well...that's what they called it when I wore it on my sleeve during the six years I was on active....

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
mlj0215 said:
Make sure to know which way the "crow" is facing.

Well, unless something's changed, you didn't need to know which way the "crow" was facing. Yes, they call it a "crow" in the fleet, but OCS is anything but. At OCS, "Sir, an E-6 in the United States Navy is a petty officer first class. His insignia is three chevrons below an eagle."

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
Funnnn Timmesssss!

Yeah-
Inspections at OCS are a little on the overboard side. You have to say and do everything exactly as it is taught to you or as you read it in the OCR. As a prior enlisted submariner for four years, I had a hard time bringing myself to call all of the Chiefs and Gunnery Sergeants sir knowing full well that out in the fleet if you do that you probably get your a** handed to you. As far as the rank and structure memorization goes, yes it is an EAGLE, not a crow (I too wore a crow on my sleeve as an E5). Just get comfortable with the fact that OCS is not like the rest of the Navy and you'll do fine.

PS-watch out for Hurricanes (lol!)

MikeGuy

SWOdogJon said:
Yeah-

PS-watch out for Hurricanes (lol!)

It's not just lockers. Make sure that your seabag is locked in 4th week RLP, or you could have this same conversation:

GySgt: Do you own a seabag? Green in color?
OC: Yes sir!
GySgt: Did you lock your seabag?
OC: Yes sir!
GySgt: Then how did I get *this* out of your bag?!

By the way, how's Texas SWOdog, fellow 09 alum?

Fredster809

In case anyone is still wondering the crow faces toward your heart. On Everything except coveralls the enlisted guys can't get it wrong because the patch goes on the left sleeve. On coveralls each collar gets one. I have seen many guys put them on facing out "looking over your shoulder" I haven't read this, but supposedly you switch the crows to face out when we are at war. Last I checked we were, but still haven't seen anybody turn their crows around. So just say the always face towards your heart and you won't go wrong. Does anybody kno wif they make yo umemorize all the different rates, or just ranks?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.