• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical barriers to STA-21?

TheLateSunrise

Hey Zues crease toast.
I was recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (like yesterday).
I am 23, I've been in the Navy for 3 years.
I got capped to E-4 last year and I've been putting together a STA-21 package. ACT Math 29 English 25.
I've got my warfare pin and an AA.
Will having ADD hinder me from being selected. Why? Why not?

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

It depends, if on medication definite no.
If not on medication they will look at your academic transcripts to see how you did, then they may say ok, if you get to college and have issues and they want to put you on meds then you would become NPQ.

TheLateSunrise

Hey Zues crease toast.
NPQ?
It depends, if on medication definite no.
If not on medication they will look at your academic transcripts to see how you did, then they may say ok, if you get to college and have issues and they want to put you on meds then you would become NPQ.

exNavyOffRec

NPQ is not physically qualified.

since you are active what would happen is you would go through you physical and when it is reviewed by Navy Medicine they would look at the medical requirements which states not allowed.

There are many things that if you are diagnosed while on active duty you can continue to serve, but some so not allow you to get commissioned.

TheLateSunrise

Hey Zues crease toast.
They are very specific about anything Oceano, degree in Oceanology or Meterology is essentially a must, they also commission very few, I believe 3 or 4 total in the USN per year.
So having this medical condition can likely put me at the bottom of the list for any option I put my package in for?

exNavyOffRec

So having this medical condition can likely put me at the bottom of the list for any option I put my package in for?

If you are found medically qualified you are medically qualified the board doesn't know if you have one condition or another, but with a diagnosis of ADD getting medical cleared might be iffy, and for instance while your local Navy doc might give you the ok they don't make the call.

TheLateSunrise

Hey Zues crease toast.
If you are found medically qualified you are medically qualified the board doesn't know if you have one condition or another, but with a diagnosis of ADD getting medical cleared might be iffy, and for instance while your local Navy doc might give you the ok they don't make the call.
Alright, I understand. Thanks, I appreciate it.