• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MECEPs now getting their junk pushed in even more

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
First they tightened down the age and education requirements last year, dashing lots of well qualified applicants dreams, and now MARADMIN 415/11 is out. The gist is that new selectees will ship directly to the NEXT 10 WEEK OCS CLASS after the selection board, and won't be allowed to report to their university until they successfully complete OCS. Big difference from having a whole year to prepare for the 6 week summer session.

I fully understand and support having a Marine go directly from the fleet to OCS rather than getting the opportunity to put on the freshmen 15 and then trying it. With that said, a Marine directly from the fleet shouldn't need the extra care and attention that an OCC candidate needs. That part's a waste of money and resources which was probably brought on by allowing E-3 and below to apply.

Either way you cut it though, I don't envy anybody that has to go that route. Mine was hard enough.

Oh yeah, and MCP is going away, but such is life. I only ever knew like 2 dudes in it anyway.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
So does that do away with MECEP Prep as well?

That prep school definitely helped get me back into a school mindset. Plus 10 weeks in San Diego wasn't too bad either. Party at the Locker Room!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This yet-another Force Shaping Tool. Screen to select. Screen to go to college.....wash, rinse, repeat. Big MARINE CORPS is doing this for a reason....

-ea6bflyr ;)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
We had plenty of priors in OCC-200. They didn't seem to mind.

buzznuttz

Wings of angels keep me afloat
I just found out I was selected for MECEP. It definately took alot of hard work, time, prayer, ect. but my name was on the list. As of now, I will be reporting in Jan. I look forward to the challenge and I am very thankful I recently attended Sergeants Course because I had no clue how to write an LOI or FRAGO. Heck, when I was researching how to do that, I came across OCS FRAGOs to aid me.

I don't mind the fact that I have to do OCS first. Atleast I can get it knocked out the way and focus strictly on college and grades. I have applied to four schools. I was denied my first choice becuase I did not meet the foreign language requirement (need two years). Waiting to hear back on the others.

My dream in high school was to be a Marine. Did that. As a Marine, I wanted to become an Officer. Working on that. As an Officer, I want to fly. Preferably Fixed wing but wouldnt mind either way. WHERE DO I START? I have two ASTB books to study buy I have no aviation background. It will all be completely new knowledge. DOES ANYONE HAVE GUIDANCE OR SUGESSTIONS? I already pray and study but, how does the process work. Do I take the test at OCS, before I go, or with an MOI? When do I choose my ground or air?

If anyone needs help on putting toether a MECEP package for the next board, feel free to PM me. GOD BLESS

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I just found out I was selected for MECEP. It definately took alot of hard work, time, prayer, ect. but my name was on the list. As of now, I will be reporting in Jan. I look forward to the challenge and I am very thankful I recently attended Sergeants Course because I had no clue how to write an LOI or FRAGO. Heck, when I was researching how to do that, I came across OCS FRAGOs to aid me.

I don't mind the fact that I have to do OCS first. Atleast I can get it knocked out the way and focus strictly on college and grades. I have applied to four schools. I was denied my first choice becuase I did not meet the foreign language requirement (need two years). Waiting to hear back on the others.

My dream in high school was to be a Marine. Did that. As a Marine, I wanted to become an Officer. Working on that. As an Officer, I want to fly. Preferably Fixed wing but wouldnt mind either way. WHERE DO I START? I have two ASTB books to study buy I have no aviation background. It will all be completely new knowledge. DOES ANYONE HAVE GUIDANCE OR SUGESSTIONS? I already pray and study but, how does the process work. Do I take the test at OCS, before I go, or with an MOI? When do I choose my ground or air?

If anyone needs help on putting toether a MECEP package for the next board, feel free to PM me. GOD BLESS

First, congratulations on getting MECEP. It's the biggest scam in the Marine Corps once you get past OCS. Second, you're in a good starting point to learn about how to prepare for the ASTB. Some study aids are good, and some are bad. You can pick up a lot of that here.

Don't worry about the ASTB business or the air contract until you establish a good rapport with the MOI at your college. You probably don't even want to mention it at OCS. In fact, when they ask you what you want to do the proper answer is "Lead Marines in combat." There is no other right answer, so keep your dreams of raining death down from above to yourself. They don't want to hear it. Once you get to your school, you can lobby for the air contract. There will be a standard package to put together for it, much like for the MECEP board, and you basically just have to keep asking. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but don't be a tool about it. Your MOI will know what he's doing, and his opinion of you counts so don't suck.

You sound just like me by the way, and so far I've gotten pretty much exactly what I've wanted out of the whole deal.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Of course you could compromise your life's goals and never get to experience hot, nasty badass speed. If that's the path you want, then you can go be a real man. The only reason they don't get the good deal hairy studs in sleeping bags gig is because they're constantly complaining about how bad their backs hurt.