• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math For a pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wiz

I am hoping to become a pilot in the Marine Corps, but my math skills are very bad, in geomatry and such. with this prevent me rom being a pilot? and how much math do you use when flying and in flight school?

Valion310

Hey Wiz,
I'll let the military guys vouche for their side of the pipeline, but if you can get through collage level algebra, under stand middle level geo and some physics (for aero and weather) then you should be fine. I'm defitily no rocket scientist and havent done any hard core math since my AE "A" School days in the Navy, but I'm doing really well in my Aerospace Science degree (teachs pilots). Hope that helps some.

"Valion310 going vertical!"

Tessone

The Wiz, have you taken the ATSB yet? That's pretty much going to tell you if you have the skills it's going to take. If you qualify for an air contract, then you are at least past the bare minimum. It might mean you have to work harder in flight school, but by then what will determine whether you become a pilot will be how much of a hard-charging Marine you are. :)

The Wiz

Thanks guys, no i havent taken the ATSB yet. I heard that it wasnt really that bad. Another question i have is how hard is Flight School? I hear a good amount of people flunk out.

Valion310

The girls in Pensacola ... heh ... if they are from there, they are all fruity and the within weeks of them being down their they go fruity. My recommendation, do em' on the turtle back of your plane for a thrill, tell them you'll call, and find new hunting grounds.

Goliath112

Originally posted by Patmack18
Hmmm... a no name school or a degree from ERAU... and you've got the same amount of flight time I do. Plus I wouldn't call flying around Kansas real challenging. Been there done that, there's no challenge to open plains and ZERO airspace...

I also wouldn't be saying anything about GPA.. after all I've got a slot and you don't. I just decided not to be a book worm and enjoy living in my fraternity house. (Plus I was lazy)

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

hey man you didn't have to go there..

man the wait is killing me

The Wiz

I want to try and fly Helos in the Marines. is there alot of comptetion for rotory or is it more competitve towards fixed wing? regarding the helo's, what do you guys think is the best helo in the Marine Corps?

mpratt

Just kidding...it depends on the mission. The 53 is great for heavy lift operations, and troop transports. One of it's drawbacks is that it is so big. Sometimes there are problems finding LZs big enough to fit in, not to mention it makes one hell of a target.
The Hueys are small (can't carry a whole lot), and pretty quick. The Cobra is loaded with weapons and is what you want if you want to fly an attack helicopter.
And the 46...well...its...a 46.

I want to fly helos as well. However, I don't know what the competition is like to get them. The pilots I knew that put helos as their number one choice, got them, if that's any kind of indicator.

MPratt

skywagon

Hey wiz, in reference to your math question--don't worry. My buddy's unit is full of General Studies and Poly Sci majors. They said all the math in flight school was challenging but not a "deal breaker". Good luck.

The Wiz

MPratt
Thanks, my brother in law flys 53's and he likes it. I think im leaning towards Cobras though I'll take anything that flys.I heard a story of a pilot who was landing at an airport and the rotor wash was so bad he fliped a small cessna over with the pilot still in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.