• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Marines go back to old style cleaning kits

jmcquate

Contributor
Nothing beats a garbage can full of hot soapy water and a little WD-40, especially after a day of firing blanks............of course with the staff looking the other way. But that was 30 years ago. I'm sure nothing like that goes on today:cool:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
By the way my cleaning agent of choice in my AR is hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any Marines want to comment on the little "oh by the way" from that article? Namely that they're phasing out the M16A4 in favor of the carbine? Just curious as a gun geek who is coincidentally upgrading his M4gery with a 20-inch match barrel . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Any Marines want to comment on the little "oh by the way" from that article? Namely that they're phasing out the M16A4 in favor of the carbine? Just curious as a gun geek who is coincidentally upgrading his M4gery with a 20-inch match barrel . . .

It came out a couple of months ago. While their SL or PL would have M4s and team members would still have A4s, now everyone gets an M4. You get a M4, you get a M4...!

ChuckMK23

pilot
And with the trend in ammo away from lighter (62 gr) to heavier (70+ gr) loads, the 14 inch barrel is plenty deadly out to 300 meters which is all thats required anyways.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Nothing beats a garbage can full of hot soapy water and a little WD-40, especially after a day of firing blanks............of course with the staff looking the other way. But that was 30 years ago. I'm sure nothing like that goes on today:cool:
Oh and you failed to mention the cleaning rod chucked in the power drill

danpass

I love the cable system.

The rod has the potential of affecting the muzzle if you scrape it against there enough times.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Thread revival:

Yeah, for 30 year old A2's that will never again fire a live round.

Naw, the candidates get A4's now too. They will never see a live round again as well. Definitely not how they are cleaned outside OCS though. Unfortunately we're moving away from 3 point slings in favor for the common 2 pointer, because having less versatility with our rifles is a good thing? I still don't understand the decision behind that one.