• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Pilot VS Navy Pilot

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
3. If you want to fly go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to go airlines in the future go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want quality of life go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to spend time with your family go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines.

I hate to be dumb, but what do you mean by this?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I hate to be dumb, but what do you mean by this?

If you want to manage a bunch of CGRI programs, care more about green side training than flying, rarely fly, never be truly proficient, and be safe enough to barely not kill yourself - fly Marines.

If you want to be good at flying because your service needs you to be good - go USN or USAF.

brownshoe

Contributor
If you want to manage a bunch of CGRI programs, care more about green side training than flying, rarely fly, never be truly proficient, and be safe enough to barely not kill yourself - fly Marines.

If you want to be good at flying because your service needs you to be good - go USN or USAF.
Fuckin A, Bubba! These two guys were NAVCAD grads. Fly Navy!

And you don't say "Yut, Yut".:)

Pags

N/A
pilot

Having seen both USN and USMC I'd say that it's shades of grey in the differences between the two services. My personal impression from the viewpoint of USN HSC(exp) was that the Marines had it a bit better with fewer hours outside of grey airplanes and more time doing what they signed up to do (assault support, attack, etc) then my community did.

Austin-Powers

I would love to be a Marine Aviator and fly the F-35 that hovers but I understand it's more than being a Pilot, that being said, I am applying for both services, and maybe even throw in ANG.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I would love to be a Marine Aviator and fly the F-35 that hovers but I understand it's more than being a Pilot, that being said, I am applying for both services, and maybe even throw in ANG.
If one of my kids said they wanted to fly for Uncle Sam I'd direct them to the USAF. It's a service that's dedicated to flying and run by flyers. Sure they have their issues too but they sound to be more first world problems then the USN/USMC.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Having seen both USN and USMC I'd say that it's shades of grey in the differences between the two services. My personal impression from the viewpoint of USN HSC(exp) was that the Marines had it a bit better with fewer hours outside of grey airplanes and more time doing what they signed up to do (assault support, attack, etc) then my community did.

This varies heavily on communities. Whitesox is a Hornet dude. Not much more to be said there.

Austin-Powers

If one of my kids said they wanted to fly for Uncle Sam I'd direct them to the USAF. It's a service that's dedicated to flying and run by flyers. Sure they have their issues too but they sound to be more first world problems then the USN/USMC.

I know it's my responsibility to make this my decision, but in your shoes, would you go Navy again?

Pags

N/A
pilot
This varies heavily on communities. Whitesox is a Hornet dude. Not much more to be said there.
Word. In that case I can see why he has that perspective (from what I've heard of the state of VMFA). The ACE components seemed to have a T&R matrix that guaranteed that they'd never want for hours and could bounce for hours EVERY DAMNED NIGHT.

exNavyOffRec

It is funny that just last weekend I talked to 2 prior USAF pilots (I think 1 retired and the other left at 10 years?), both said they would encourage their kids to go either USCG or USN. I guess it is all perspective really, the grass is always green thing.

of course if they grass is always greener on the other side, then water your own grass right?

Notanaviator

Contributor
For an outside perspective, with some exposure (obviously not direct) to USAF, USN, and USMC aviation communities, from an outside hiring perspective I would weight USN/USMC heavier due to culture and the fact that these branches typically require officers to do their job, and other jobs, and be able to effectively balance the two (or more) aspects.

It’s more meaningful to me, and I can’t weigh in on whether it contributes to a better fighting force obviously, that folks are given more and varied responsibilities earlier and more often. It’s my sense that this produces leaders that are able to adapt, multitask, and execute with whatever resources they have, and I think that’s a pretty meaningful trait when you’re talking about hiring a military aviation background into a role that doesn’t involve either of those aspects.