• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine aviation options/chances

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Not for long, and unfortunately for them, the USMC has zero qualms with cornholing their people when they sundown a platform. They did it with the A-6, H-46, EA-6B, and they'll do it again when the F/A-18D goes away.

Except most of those platforms were given plenty of alternate and emerging career paths. Whether an individual wants to take said path is another story.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The end of the D’s is a little different too. I believe prowler ECMO’s were given some opportunities to switch to be WSO’s. When there are no more NFO billets, it’s a little different.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except most of those platforms were given plenty of alternate and emerging career paths. Whether an individual wants to take said path is another story.
I'm sure we both know a bunch of good dudes that got railroaded... some of whom have been vocal on this site about it. To be fair, the Navy did the same thing with the A-6 sundown. We designed the Growler transition with a lot of those lessons in mind.

From what I understand....If you want to be apart of what's happening "on the ground" you will be much happier as a transport helo pilot. Unless I am misunderstanding.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The end of the D’s is a little different too. I believe prowler ECMO’s were given some opportunities to switch to be WSO’s. When there are no more NFO billets, it’s a little different.

A few were sent back through flight school as a pilot retread, and a bunch went to the VMU community.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
ive already signed an air contract for PLC, so should I still be worried about not getting SNA? and what is NSS?

If you have a pilot air contract then you have a pilot air contract. Assuming you make it through OCS, and graduate college, and commission, and make it through TBS, and pass all of the flight physical requirements, and don't get NPQ'd with a NAMI Whammy, you will have earned the opportunity to show up to day 1 of flight school.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A few were sent back through flight school as a pilot retread, and a bunch went to the VMU community.
I was about to say VMU but I’m a bit removed now and wasn’t sure how things have changed now that it’s more of a real MOS. And I don’t mean that in a derogatory way.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I was about to say VMU but I’m a bit removed now and wasn’t sure how things have changed now that it’s more of a real MOS. And I don’t mean that in a derogatory way.
I left in October (I'm an ANG guy now too), but there was some intent from the Occ Field Sponser and Manpower folks to cease transitions into the community. But with the amount of VMU guys going to the AF, ANG or the civilian contract companies there will be a continued need for a while yet to come.