• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marathon training while in primary

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Honestly, I find it harder to pull G in the T-34 than in the T-45. For me at least, the G-Suit really seems to help a lot. I had to hook at 4G in the -34, where I don't have to do anything in the -45 other than just fly.

note: I am an E2/C2 guy, so I don't do weps or ACM, so min radius turns are about the most sustained G I see.

I need to at least tense my legs at 4G, otherwise I start seeing stars. This is with the mask on.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
All I ever needed for 4G's the the suit. I found I could pull about 6 in the T-2 with just the suit and tensing my legs. Haven't pulled more than 6 outside the 'fuge.

MasterBates

scoober said:
how does anyone see more G's than in a min radius turn? Maybe I missed that day in physics, but it seems to me that if you are min radius, that's it.

MRTs are a maneuver, not necessarily the max-G capabilities of the jet. Honestly, I don't know how many Gs it is, because I am not looking at the G-Meter doing them.

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
Last year they brought down a c-130 to transport folks to the race. So it seems they encourage folks to do it--and If i remember correctly they (at least on the ht side) worked with everyone to get them scheduled and still let them run the race itself. As far as training--running 18+ miles on the weekend is gonna be rough on you--you have to catch up on sleep sometime! Good luck

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Last year they brought down a c-130 to transport folks to the race. So it seems they encourage folks to do it--and If i remember correctly they (at least on the ht side) worked with everyone to get them scheduled and still let them run the race itself. As far as training--running 18+ miles on the weekend is gonna be rough on you--you have to catch up on sleep sometime! Good luck

I had heard something along the same lines from a good buddy of mine WRT the 130 coming out to pick people up. By October I'll (hopefully) be in advanced, so I have no idea where I will be when the time comes to catch a flight out to DC.

Thanks for the link, E.T. I appreciate it all, fellas. Keep it coming! I just did my first sorta long run this weekend. It kicked my ass, but it was motivating, nonetheless. I'm a big dude, so I'm looking at this with almost equal parts apprehension and motivation. Apprehension because I'm not a very good runner right now. Motivation because I will be with the right training. Should be fun.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
The biggest potential downside to the MCM that I see is that for a October DC race you would have to train through the worst part of the summer in Pensacola. There is a reason why the Pensacola Marathon is in February (so that you can do your training when the weather is manageable).

Are Navy bubbas eligible to ride the Herc?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
The biggest potential downside to the MCM that I see is that for a October DC race you would have to train through the worst part of the summer in Pensacola. There is a reason why the Pensacola Marathon is in February (so that you can do your training when the weather is manageable).

I imagine Corpus would be as bad if not worse to train in during the summer. I've been looking for routes that would be well lit, allowing me to do my long runs during the darker parts of the day (pre-sunrise hours and twilight time frame.) It's not going to be convenient, but I think I can make it work.

Also a good question WRT the herc. Are there any Marine Herc drivers who might be involved with the program on the forum?

E.T. VF-24 PR

I had heard something along the same lines from a good buddy of mine WRT the 130 coming out to pick people up. By October I'll (hopefully) be in advanced, so I have no idea where I will be when the time comes to catch a flight out to DC.

Thanks for the link, E.T. I appreciate it all, fellas. Keep it coming! I just did my first sorta long run this weekend. It kicked my ass, but it was motivating, nonetheless. I'm a big dude, so I'm looking at this with almost equal parts apprehension and motivation. Apprehension because I'm not a very good runner right now. Motivation because I will be with the right training. Should be fun.

I tried to follow Hal Higdon's 18 week novice program. After week 12 I had this weird iliotibial band syndrome hit me http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sportframe.html So I had read that being a healthy runner for a marathon is better than a trained runner for a marathon. So I stopped running. I was aiming for the 2004 Air Force Marathon (my goal was run a marathon before turning 40). I started out okay on race day but about 8 miles in I pulled a groin so a walked/jogged for a long time. Then about mile 21 I felt better and was able to run for a bit. The AF marathon probably was not the best marathon for me to run because of the elevation changes. Needless to say my 26.2 was rather pedestrian. I came back with a better performance in the Buffalo half marathon the following spring. I am about 6' 2" and on race day in 2004 probably weighed more than 225. Because of my lousy finishing time in 2004 I am thinking of running the Niagara Falls International marathon this October and I'm down to 210 (hopefully I will have a good finishing time and retire from 26.2 and concentrate on 13.1). I run on Asics Gel Kayano try here http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ and here http://www.kellysrunningwarehouse.co...e/krw/Home.jsp

Crowbar

None
If you're expecting to be in the greater Pensacola area for a year or so, there's also the First Light Marathon in Mobile. It's typically mid-January every year, and registration is something ridiculous like $25. I did it while I was still in primary ground school. That will give you over the Christmas break to knock out some long runs and take a couple of weeks off once you start back in January. It's not nearly as interesting a course as MCM, but if your goal is just to run a marathon, and not a specific one, the location, timing, and price are hard to beat.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Just gotta get up early....which kills the social life. I did it this past year, and Mrs. Pags and I would have to get up early on the weekends to get the long run in before the heat and humidity in Norfolk kicked in. Kinda sucks to leave the bar at 11pm.

phrogpilot73

Also a good question WRT the herc. Are there any Marine Herc drivers who might be involved with the program on the forum?
I would assume their rules are simliar to ours with respect to transporting pax. Members of the military (active duty, reserve) don't require any hoop-jumping. Civilians generally required approval from the Wing CG or higher. As far as I know, there's no distinction between Navy/Marine Corps when it comes to jumping on a Herc.