• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marathon training while in primary

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Okay, I've decided that I want to run a marathon. More specifically the MCM this fall.

I'm just about to start my CPTs in primary, and I already find myself getting pretty stressed out about the whole learning to fly the Navy way process, so I decided that training to run a marathon would be a good way to spend my down time and stay in shape.

Question one: Has anyone out there done this? I searched the forum and was unable to locate any examples of primary STUDS training to run a marathon. Is this a fool-hardy endeavour? It seems like the bulk of the training can be done in a little over an hour every day (including warm up, cool down, showering, etc.) I guess my ultimate question is: should I just wait until I have a little more time to myself to jump into a program like this?

Question two: Can anyone who has completed a marathon gouge me up on techniques that were successful for them? I am looking at Hal Higdon's training guide for novice runners right now, but if there is something else out there that is battle tested by members of the forum, I'd like to take a look at that, too.

Thanks in advance.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
One thing that you might want to keep in mind is that you might not be able to make it up to DC to run the race. It would suck to spend all this work for one race and then not get the leave or be scheduled for a big checkride first thing on Monday morning.

I'm not saying don't do it, I think the training aspect of it is totally doable, just be prepared not to run the race.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
One thing that you might want to keep in mind is that you might not be able to make it up to DC to run the race. It would suck to spend all this work for one race and then not get the leave or be scheduled for a big checkride first thing on Monday morning.

I'm not saying don't do it, I think the training aspect of it is totally doable, just be prepared not to run the race.

Good point.

The race itself is a nice goal to have. I know that the needs of the service WRT my training as an aviator have precedent, but, a date to aim for will really help me out.

pjxc415

pilot
i trained for a marathon while going through tbs. you just have to make the time for it. i would wake up at 3 some mornings to go run before doing tbs scheduled events. mileage mileage mileage. start small, increase no greater than 10% per week. find a training plan that works for you and your schedule. runnersworld.com will offer some good advice. don't be too anal about sticking to it 100%, but shoot for as close as possible. save long runs for the weekends.

if you're looking to run a marathon, have some fun, and finish, it is completely doable. if you're looking to become some sort of all-star runner while in primary i would say priorities aren't in line.

marathons are mind over matter - if you want it, you can do it. if you want specific training advice pm me - i ran for BU back in college for about a year and a half.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There have been marathon runner studs in Primary before. My recommendation is to go talk to STUCON and your on-wing when you get back to the squadron in a week-ish. Let your on-wing know your plan and run a chit through STUCON while talking to one of the STUCON officers during office hours. If you lead the target (and I don't know when the MCM is), they'll probably work with you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There's always the Blue Angel Marathon--26.2 mi through P-Cola. Ugh!

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
There have been marathon runner studs in Primary before. My recommendation is to go talk to STUCON and your on-wing when you get back to the squadron in a week-ish. Let your on-know your plan and run a chit through STUCON while talking to one of the STUCON officers during office hours. If you lead the target (and I don't know when the MCM is), they'll probably work with you.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
my roommate did the Blue Angel while going through primary. In fact, he found the training to be almost theraputic after long days at Whiting. The only thing I would caution you on is spending too much time thinking about a marathon and not enough on the flights. You might have to sacrifice training in order to make the grades in primary.

my .02

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
jollygreen,

Beware of your G tolerance levels. USAF did a study, 24 years ago, which indicated that training for marathons provided a decrease in G tolerance. Theory behind it is logical, and, it may not alter your G tolerance....just keep an eye out for it.

LivinMyDream

pilot
Don't worry about the G's--until after you select your platform. If you select jets in a few months, then you can start lifting... As for the running, read Hal Higdon's book "Marathon" and subscribe to Runners World magazine. There are tons of tips in both resources. As was stated before, mileage is the key, though take it slow in the beginning, build a base, and be sure to "step back" every month or so to a lower mileage in order to help your recovery. PM me with questions and/or if you'd like help with your training.

MasterBates

Honestly, I find it harder to pull G in the T-34 than in the T-45. For me at least, the G-Suit really seems to help a lot. I had to hook at 4G in the -34, where I don't have to do anything in the -45 other than just fly.

note: I am an E2/C2 guy, so I don't do weps or ACM, so min radius turns are about the most sustained G I see.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Honestly, I find it harder to pull G in the T-34 than in the T-45. For me at least, the G-Suit really seems to help a lot. I had to hook at 4G in the -34, where I don't have to do anything in the -45 other than just fly.

Sucking on the O2 helps a bunch, too. I noticed a higher tolerance when flying w/ the mask on all the time out at LRU. Or maybe it was just because it was forcing me to manage my breathing a little more.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sucking on the O2 helps a bunch, too. I noticed a higher tolerance when flying w/ the mask on all the time out at LRU. Or maybe it was just because it was forcing me to manage my breathing a little more.

Concur about the mask. Noticed same.

I am an E2/C2 guy, so I don't do weps or ACM, so min radius turns are about the most sustained G I see.

How does anyone see more G's than in a min radius turn? Maybe I missed that day in physics, but it seems to me that if you are min radius, that's it.:confused: