• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mameluke Sword - Brands

JonTay

Good Morning everyone,
I had a quick question about the Mameluke sword. I graduated OCS last July and will be commissioning this May. I'm looking at ordering my Mameluke sword from Marlow White, they seem pretty legitimate.

http://www.militarysabers.com/marine-officer-sword-certified.html

Its $135 cheaper than the ones from the Marine Shop. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or had bought one of those themselves. Or does it not really matter where I get it as long as its official?

Thanks

Renegade One

None
Or does it not really matter where I get it as long as its official? Thanks
I'm not sure what the real meaning of "official" is. My Navy Officer's Sword was purchased by my girlfriend of the 1971-72 timeframe while she was on a trip to Spain…for US$25.00. Indistinguishable from anything else I ever saw and served me well for several decades. Passed down to my first-born son.

Check these out:
$375: http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1789-personalized-us-marine-corps-officers-saber.aspx

$238: http://www.coldsteelknivesdirect.com/marine-officers-saber

$99: http://www.usmilitaryswordsonline.com/Replica-United-States-Marine-Officer-Mameluke-Sword_p_27.html

Just a thought.

JonTay

Also I want to apologize for making this thread a repeat. I found more information through the search function once I started spelling "Mameluke" correctly.

Renegade One

None
Haha I don't know if I can get away with $25, but that top link doesnt look bad. Thanks Sir!
Well, you'd be surprised. Unless your unit(s) has (have) saber Nazis…but they're usually more concerned with proper sword knot attachment (not unimportant…), correct hanging on the belt (also not unimportant…), and actually knowing/executing the "manual of arms" with the Mameluke (important). The rest is pretty much dealer's choice! :)

Renegade One

None
Haha I don't know if I can get away with $25, ...
C'mon…wouldn't it be worth the 25 bucks just to order it and check it out? It might be "good to go as-is"…or it might be a future wall-hanger in your garage. You probably spend more than that any average night at your favorite hangout… :)
The best blue-faced Rolex Submariner (with a stainless/gold metal band) I ever owned was a fake blue-faced Rolex Submariner (with a stainless/gold metal band) that cost me…TA-DA---$49.

Never tested it to 550M…but it took a licking and kept on ticking in the shower, swimming pool, hot tub, etc. Anything deeper than that and I'd have chosen a different community…

You will actually wear your Mameluke fewer than 2 x per year across an entire career…mostly at weddings…unless you get assigned to "8th and "I". Choose wisely… :cool:

There's $.02 worth of advice for free…better return than a lottery ticket.

klamsy

Monday monkey lives for the weekend, sir.
pilot
Contributor
I bought my sword through Marlow White without complaint (aside from, you know, I've used it zero times). I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but if you have friends commissioning around the same time of you in need of swords and you buy them all together they'll bump the price down a little more.

JonTay

It might be "good to go as-is"…or it might be a future wall-hanger in your garage. You probably spend more than that any average night at your favorite hangout… :)
Haha good point sir. Worst case I think I could find a use for an extra sword.

I bought my sword through Marlow White without complaint (aside from, you know, I've used it zero times).
By the way I heard you may not pass TBS inspection if you have your sword engraved, do you know if that's true or just an old policy?

Renegade One

None
I bought my sword through Marlow White without complaint (aside from, you know, I've used it zero times).
My point…exactly. They're not even "required" in the Navy until you make LCDR (meaning that as as an O-4, you might have to show up with one. Your own? Borrowed from a bud? No one cares…just show up…).

Is this different in the Marine Corps? Is every butter-bar expected to have the fullest sea-bag imaginable? Blue/white ALFAs? Mess Dress?

I probably attend 6-10 USMC "ceremonial functions" in SD every year…Changes of Command (squadron, MAG, MAW), Battle Honors Ceremonies, you name it. They are ALL done in cammies/BDUs/whatever you call them these days…web-gear/packs/small-arms holsters. No Mamelukes on parade. Guidons and rifles mostly.

Renegade One

None
By the way I heard you may not pass TBS inspection if you have your sword engraved, do you know if that's true or just an old policy?
I guess that just answered my earlier question about stupid shit being required of 2Lts…. :eek:

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
I fully agree if the $25 one, since I've worn mine once for an offical function, twice for sword practice at Tbs, and once for the TBS inspection deapite the ungodly amount it costs for the sword belts and other stuff.
BUT, and huge damn but.... you are required to have one. It must be the right size. And it must be from an approved manufacturer. Weird only 2 places sell them, they pretty much have that market cornered. Bottom line, you are payimg the full price of a grandish. Between the two suppliers, id go with the one your getting everything else from. I went with marine shop. no complaints. Its really all the same. The two competing companies will come and talk/pitch to your company. How they are the best and if you buy with the other then you are pretty much pissing on Chesty's grave. Its all thesame shit.

Renegade One

None
I fully agree if the $25 one, since I've worn mine once for an offical function, twice for sword practice at Tbs, and once for the TBS inspection deapite the ungodly amount it costs for the sword belts and other stuff.
The two competing companies will come and talk/pitch to your company. How they are the best and if you buy with the other then you are pretty much pissing on Chesty's grave. Its all thesame shit.
Well, shit…I never recommended pissing on Chesty's grave…

Yes…it's ALL the same shit.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, you won't get to display it much during your active career; but, what hasn't been mentioned, is that your family and your descendents (mostly civilians), will after you depart, consider your engraved sword a family heirloom. It may well be handed down along with your uniformed photos, through many family generations. Thus you'll be remembered often by descendents who, having never known you... will take pride in Great X 3-4 GrandPa's(Ma's) good looks, and sterling record of service, never to be forgotten!:D

Doesn't one owe future generations more than a cheapo' $25 weapon, that suffices for cake-cuttings, and an occasional inspection?:p
BzB, thinking only of the distant future;)