• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Physical Qualifications for SNA (Very Important)

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get the OP's initiative to helping the public, but concur with @NavyOffRec that few fail the MEPS DP test because of outside circumstances.
Serious question- is there data that shows how many fail DP at MEPS, which type of test they took, (perhaps even which MEPS location), and whether or not they subsequently re-took, passed, and failed at NAMI?

I get that you and @NavyOffRec have seen a good number of candidates, but there is an even larger number that haven't been recruited by the two of you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Serious question- is there data that shows how many fail DP at MEPS, which type of test they took, (perhaps even which MEPS location), and whether or not they subsequently re-took, passed, and failed at NAMI?

I get that you and @NavyOffRec have seen a good number of candidates, but there is an even larger number that haven't been recruited by the two of you.

Do you want the answer you want to hear or need to hear?

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Maybe I wasn't being clear: Is your agreement based on objective facts or your experience with a small subset of applicants?

exNavyOffRec

This reminds me of nuke ELT's (engineering laboratory technicians) when you would ask about chemistry results, often they would joke "Do you want me to tell you what it is, or do you want me to tell you what you want it to be"

exNavyOffRec

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Maybe I wasn't being clear: Is your agreement based on objective facts or your experience with a small subset of applicants?

MEPS runs many people through, they have the data on each applicant but I have never heard of anyone compiling it, except maybe for those DQ'd to be used for training purposes.

I can let you know that I processed a lot of people, and also since I was at HQ I would review each physical for missing info before the processors would upload it, a low percent of failures is would I would say I saw, there were also ones I saw that were not administered the DP test due to one reason or another.

The thing is that MEPS is to qualify people for military service, not to qualify for jobs or designators, so they treat everyone the same, of course that isn't necessarily a good thing.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MEPS runs many people through, they have the data on each applicant but I have never heard of anyone compiling it, except maybe for those DQ'd to be used for training purposes.

I can let you know that I processed a lot of people, and also since I was at HQ I would review each physical for missing info before the processors would upload it, a low percent of failures is would I would say I saw, there were also ones I saw that were not administered the DP test due to one reason or another.

The thing is that MEPS is to qualify people for military service, not to qualify for jobs or designators, so they treat everyone the same, of course that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Awesome, thanks. That is some good info and your experience goes a long way toward explaining my question. As to the last part- I'm sure they do what they can with the resources they have. I like the attitude of the folks that don't take the first 'No' for an answer, though!

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired

When I got my PIP test done at Portland MEPS the PO2 turned the pages so fast I couldn’t read them, so I failed for color blindness. So when I classified for aviation jobs AM didn’t come up, so I took AZ so I could be an Airdale.

Since I was on the delayed entry program for over a year it was stewing on me, and I really didn’t want to be a desk monkey. So I went to my recruiter and said I’m done, not going in unless I can be an AM.

While he was in the back office scrambling with the Masterchief, and LT a PO1 FTS recruiter ( he was out of quotas) ? ask me if I knew why I couldn’t be an AM.

Well no I don’t know why, he says your color blind.?

Out comes the whole back office spewing you are color blind bah bah blaw crap, I held my ground said nope I’m not. I want a retest, can’t happen because you could have gotten a hold of the test and had some one else tell you what they are.

Luckily I was quick on my feet and said point o to some off those ribbons on Masterchief and I’ll tell you what colors they are. I identified everyone that pointed to.

Went back to MEPS with my recruiter, and LT, or MC. They convinced them to let me take it again passing with flying colors.

All it takes is one under motivated person at MEPS to screw your future up.

And yes I got AM, but didn’t realize at the time that they those chose later for you which AM your going to be at the time AM/E/H/S, I got AME , and loved what I did.

Truly satisfying that 16 out of 16 who used the seats I worked on still walk today.?

Last edited:

papacarter

College Student
overall of all the applicants I put through MEPS few of them failed DP, the ones that frequently would go to a civilian doc for the most part failed that test too, of course I worked with someone that worked diligently to get their candidates retested, and nearly all ended up not passing the flight physicals at OCS anyway.

It is rare to be able to get examined by a USN flight doc, those that are in FL or close to it can often get a NAMI physical as part of what NAMI does is to qualify people for SNA, other with other USN MTF it is not their job to qualify people for SNA so often they will not agree to conduct an exam.
Both the web and my ophthalmologist confirms that DP is something that can be learned/improved with vision therapy. Even some people on this forum improved their DP when they had DP as bad as 100 seconds of arc. In my case, I am borderline qualified for DP, but can pass all other parts of the flight physical with flying colors.

jessssand

I have found some info on this subject but it wasn't very recent so I wanted to ask here for advice. I failed the depth perception test at MEPS it wasn't explained well and my recruiter couldn't get me back in. I applied SNFO and received a Y FinSel. I want to make it clear I am fully vested in a career as an NFO. However at the times I could try to switch to SNA I am willing to give it a shot and if it doesn't work then I am pushing forward for a full career as an NFO and wherever the Navy wants me.
My questions is: is it possible to get a flight physical before OCS to show that I pass to have on record? (I have gone to civilian doctors and done all the tests and know my DP is perfect). Or should I wait and do the physical at OCS? part two of the question is if I pass the full Navy Physical and it shows my DP does meet standards is it possible to switch at OCS, or upon arrival at Pensacola? Or as ive seen on other threads is to get through training as an NFO prove myself out in the fleet then apply? (my only worry on that option is age. I am going to OCS in June and turn 25 in July so I know that only leaves a few years to re-designate correct?
As I said above if the re-designation does not work I am looking forward to being a Naval Officer first and being the best NFO I can. Just looking at all the options as I feel I would make a great pilot for the Navy. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply to this!!