• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LT Finn, MOH Recipient

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Retired Navy Lt. John Finn, the oldest Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, died Thursday at his southern California ranch. He was 100. Finn was the first man to receive the nation's highest military award for heroism during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. He was the oldest of 97 Medal of Honor recipients still living.

Despite head wounds and other injuries, Finn, the chief of ordnance for an air squadron, continuously fired a .50-caliber machine gun from an exposed position as bullets and bombs pounded the base at Kaneohe Bay in Oahu. He then supervised the rearming of returning American planes.

jtmedli

pilot
It's a shame to see our WW2 veterans dying. I hope I can meet a few more of them and hear some more stories before it's all said and done with those guys. It's an honor every time I've had the pleasure of sitting down and talk to them and hearing their stories.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I read this guys story from time to time, it's always a good one. Certified American BAMF.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I always asked our AO's during any of the lineman boards they did who John Finn was. I think I only had one or two who didn't know who he was.