• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lowest OAR Score

Seawolf_2020

Navy guy
First of all:

Then ≠ Than.

And...

5a4.jpg

With that out of the way, study harder, shipmate. I scored 8, 8, 8, and 62 on the OAR and I attribute it to all the time I spent with the Barrons study guide, it was great. To be honest, you do NOT want to be an officer if you're just barely going to squeak by -- you'll be overwhelmed. I know it's easy to think we all sit on our asses and screw off, but it's a different type of work. You don't want to start behind the power curve because when the shit hits the fan, you'll sink. None of us know you, but you know yourself, so put in the time and effort to study and get the scores you need. Nobody wants a guy in the wardroom who had to waiver his way in on testing standards, nor do you want to be that guy. Shit, we have enough bad officers.

Goodluck. Oh, and btw, snarky replies to the CDRs and other old farts around here are not going to win you a lot of friends or help in the future. I recommend humble and let the rest of us talk shit to @Brett327, respectfully, of course.
Gosh you sir are pretentious, it's quite palpable.

exNavyOffRec

Why would this be a waiver? No waiver would be required if a prior service member or active duty member scored between 40-44. Maybe YOU ought to read the PA again.
45 is the requirement unless you meet certain requirements, those requirements have to be verified by NRC, it is a waiver without calling it a waiver, just like they have age waivers for AD for many designators, they just verified the active TIS and pushed it to board, there wasn't much of a waiver process, just verify and move it along.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Why would this be a waiver? No waiver would be required if a prior service member or active duty member scored between 40-44. Maybe YOU ought to read the PA again.

Most PAs require a 45 or higher OAR. I want to say there are others that are/will be shifting to 50.

This alone is a sign you should retake that test and improve that score instead of asking the Navy a favor to waive your low OAR score.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Gosh you sir are pretentious, it's quite palpable.
Yes, I can be pretentious at times and I'm completely comfortable with that. Perhaps it's part of my charm. Did I make you uncomfortable? Or maybe my comments on mustangs struck a nerve? Maybe you're assuming I'm just another asshole officer acting like he's soo fucking smart. Whatever it is, I don't really care, nor does anyone else.

YN1, welcome to AW. Is that really what you came here to do, offer unsolicited negative commentary? I'm assuming not, so why don't we start over. Why don't you allow us to help you earn a bar on your shoulder rather than spit at those who might otherwise be willing to help you?

My CDRE once told us "Assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups." He's right. You're going to get out of this website what you put into it. You can pump negative or positive energy into it and see where it gets you. I recommend the latter.

JD5571

Posting in this thread to help anyone who is currently AD and searching through these forums regarding having a low oar score and what they need to compensate for that.

I was picked up with an oar score of 41 for SWO with an average 3.0 GPA. However I had strong LORs/interviews, strong evals, 2 NAMs and still attached to first command(have not received eot award yet), Sailor of the Year, qualified in all warfare pin opportunities that I had, volunteered for 2 expeditionary deployments (one IA), held various high impact positions such as ekms mgr, warfare program coordinator, acfl, iam, and also had leadership roles above my paygrade(e5) including LPO/ALPO.

Remember to use the personal statement section to explain why your oar score or GPA is not what you aimed for. I wanted the IP designator however being an Officer is more important to me so I am happy with SWO. Hope this helps any AD sailors looking thru these forums. I understand the struggles with studying for the OAR and maintaining a good GPA especially when you are serving in important roles at your command and have a family. Just remember you're the only one who decides if they want to be selected for this program. Good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Posting in this thread to help anyone who is currently AD and searching through these forums regarding having a low oar score and what they need to compensate for that.

I was picked up with an oar score of 41 for SWO with an average 3.0 GPA. However I had strong LORs/interviews, strong evals, 2 NAMs and still attached to first command(have not received eot award yet), Sailor of the Year, qualified in all warfare pin opportunities that I had, volunteered for 2 expeditionary deployments (one IA), held various high impact positions such as ekms mgr, warfare program coordinator, acfl, iam, and also had leadership roles above my paygrade(e5) including LPO/ALPO.

Remember to use the personal statement section to explain why your oar score or GPA is not what you aimed for. I wanted the IP designator however being an Officer is more important to me so I am happy with SWO. Hope this helps any AD sailors looking thru these forums. I understand the struggles with studying for the OAR and maintaining a good GPA especially when you are serving in important roles at your command and have a family. Just remember you're the only one who decides if they want to be selected for this program. Good luck!

SWO is averaging around a 95% selection rate as of the past two boards so i think that had much to do with it...

JD5571

SWO is averaging around a 95% selection rate as of the past two boards so i think that had much to do with it...

Wow I applied at a great time then. Is that selection rate most likely due to this June swo board choosing applicants for the next fiscal year?

Seawolf_2020

Navy guy
Most PAs require a 45 or higher OAR. I want to say there are others that are/will be shifting to 50.

This alone is a sign you should retake that test and improve that score instead of asking the Navy a favor to waive your low OAR score.
RecruitingGuru apparently knows nothing about recruiting. Since he believes an ETP requires a waiver. Your credibility is shot. I would steer clear of your advise. I'll make that known.

FormerRecruitingGuru

RecruitingGuru apparently knows nothing about recruiting. Since he believes an ETP requires a waiver. Your credibility is shot. I would steer clear of your advise. I'll make that known.

You mad? An ETP is asking big Navy (aka OPNAV N13) for a WAIVER of policy to get you to board.

I really hope you don’t become “that prior enlisted guy” in the wardroom if you’re ever selected.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Wow I applied at a great time then. Is that selection rate most likely due to this June swo board choosing applicants for the next fiscal year?

It’s actually for a few reasons:

1. Growing ships/Navy
  2. SWO DH retention is almost at its lowest.
  3. SWO INDOC attrition (low but it does impact numbers).
  4. SWO qual checks (same as #3)

Seawolf_2020

Navy guy
You mad? An ETP is asking big Navy (aka OPNAV N13) for a WAIVER of policy to get you to board.

I really hope you don’t become “that prior enlisted guy” in the wardroom if you’re ever selected.

Take a look at the new PA (June 2019).

RecruitingGuru, I’ll admit that was harsh. HOWEVER, as an enlisted recruiter for many years I don’t see it as a waiver. Just my 2¢.
Also, it doesn’t matter anymore.
EVERYONE viewing this thread look at the new PA. Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Take a look at the new PA (June 2019).

RecruitingGuru, I’ll admit that was harsh. HOWEVER, as an enlisted recruiter for many years I don’t see it as a waiver. Just my 2¢.
Also, it doesn’t matter anymore.
EVERYONE viewing this thread look at the new PA. Thank you!

This puts it back to what it was before, now in general OAR and GPA have a correlation, especially for those in college, it will also be interesting to see if the new makeup of SWO board puts much weight into the OAR.

as one who did enlisted and officer recruiting in 2 different tours I have the same view as RecruitingGuru