• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lowest OAR Score

Dalilali

Just out of curiosity and because I was reading the 1420.1b. Has anyone ever commissioned with a OAR score of 35 or anything less then that?

Also, SWO community are there age waivers for active duty that of selected would be 35 when they go to OCS??

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just out of curiosity and because I was reading the 1420.1b. Has anyone ever commissioned with a OAR score of 35 or anything less then that?

Also, SWO community are there age waivers for active duty that of selected would be 35 when they go to OCS??

Read the SWO program authorization to find out.

Dalilali

I know about the program authorization and i was just wondering if anyone has ever commissioned with waivers for that?

Dalilali

I am asking if anyone has ever commissioned with a low score like that. And it has been known that not everyone that has a high score and has commissioned is great at their job. Good test takers are not all great leaders.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have no idea. On an individual level, you can avoid that dilemma by scoring higher on the OAR or choosing another career. On an enterprise level, the various quality controls for the Navy’s talent supply/ new accessions are imperfect but they’re in place for a reason.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I am asking if anyone has ever commissioned with a low score like that. And it has been known that not everyone that has a high score and has commissioned is great at their job. Good test takers are not all great leaders.

It’s very rare, but the whole purpose of a PA is to enforce the applicant quality pool. If a certain community wanted folks with lower OAR scores they would have done so.

Also, tests are the backbone in the Navy. For enlisted advancement you need to pass a test. For schooling, you take tons of tests. If you don’t have the skills to pass tests it doesn’t matter how “good” of a Navy leader you are. You need to pass academic tests at OCS and throughout your Navy schooling as an officer.

snake020

Contributor
Threadjack - some of the PAs list marital status as criteria. Was there ever a time where you were ineligible for a program if not single?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Threadjack - some of the PAs list marital status as criteria. Was there ever a time where you were ineligible for a program if not single?

Which ones? The PAs are in the process of being revised and I don’t remember seeing one mentioning that you must be single.

USNA is the only commissioning program I know of where you can’t be married.

snake020

Contributor
Which ones? The PAs are in the process of being revised and I don’t remember seeing one mentioning that you must be single.

USNA is the only commissioning program I know of where you can’t be married.

Several, including SPEWAR, Intel, PAO, have it listed under 4.g. as "Marital status: no restrictions." USNA aside, wondering why such criteria is still listed.

Dalilali

It’s very rare, but the whole purpose of a PA is to enforce the applicant quality pool. If a certain community wanted folks with lower OAR scores they would have done so.

Also, tests are the backbone in the Navy. For enlisted advancement you need to pass a test. For schooling, you take tons of tests. If you don’t have the skills to pass tests it doesn’t matter how “good” of a Navy leader you are. You need to pass academic tests at OCS and throughout your Navy schooling as an officer.

And I understand that test are the backbone of the Navy and with out them people would not be able to advance in the Enlisted world. However, I just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen this first hand and not just tell me that they think people that are taking the OAR and cannot advance have some type of issue with themselves. Anyway thank you for the information . It was just a question .

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Re-take the OAR, but first, study for it as best you can. Use every resource you can find. Practice test-taking (any test, really). If you work hard you will see results.

subreservist

35 is pretty low. As is, the minimum for SWO is 45, and that is low. Most of the PA's will even state there is no exception to their OAR criteria.

Plus you get 3 chances to take it. If you can't figure a way of studying up to at least get the minimum, the Officer route may not be the way to go.

However, there are some programs where the OAR is not required...I believe Seals is one of them. Get your pullup game together and you might have a shot!