• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking to buy an M1A

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Well I'm in the market for an M1A rifle and am just starting to look around. It was my father's favorite rifle and as he recently passed, one of his wishes was I use part of my inheritance from him to purchase one in his memory. I've looked in the past, and although prices seem to be a bit inflated now I'm not sure if I should wait to pull the trigger or just pay the current market value. I'm looking for traditional walnut (non-synthetic) Springfield and it seems the average price is around $1700 stock, $2200ish with optics. Not sure which route to go but I'd appreciate any expertise as far as where to look (already tried gunbroker) and pitfalls to look for when buying. This will be my first classic rifle purchase. Also, I'm buying from Texas so we're all good there.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Sorry to hear about your father; that's never easy. I've wanted to get an M1A for a while too. Gunbroker tends to be a little overpriced IMO; for a base model I think 1400 would be more reasonable. That said, I just saw one on impactguns.com for 2k, which is ridiculous, so 1700 doesn't sound all that bad. If you're patient, you might look around at some local shops. If they don't have one in stock maybe they can order one for a reasonable price.

Depending on your price range, I hear the Fulton Armory and LRB make a very nice M1A/M-14 (forged recievers), but you'll pay a premium. You won't go wrong with a Springfield though. They're all solid rifles that should just about last forever.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have you tried Calguns.net (since you're in Lemoore)? Like Shakey said, you may have to be patient as some of the prices can be inflated, but there's tons of "product" sold through that site.

b0pric01

pilot
I would try ar15.com forums as well. I bought a Springfield Scout locally a while back for what I considered to be a good deal ($1300 with two mags and 60 rounds) until I looked on there. The equipment exchange generally has good deals all around if you check them from time to time.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
Thanks for the input, I'm actually in Texas now TAD and was looking to purchase it here and keep it with my brother as I don't believe they are legal in California. Each auction I've seen wont ship to CA or NY so I'm just guessing

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the input, I'm actually in Texas now TAD and was looking to purchase it here and keep it with my brother as I don't believe they are legal in California. Each auction I've seen wont ship to CA or NY so I'm just guessing

Ahh, I'd buy in TX, too. That said, they are 100% COMPLETELY legal in CA, as long as they have a muzzle brake on them. Whatever you decide on the magazine thing I'll leave up to you. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing and have never been hassled about having mags > 10 rounds in CA (that were all previously owned in state, of course!).

Renegade One

None
Well I'm in the market for an M1A rifle ... It was my father's favorite rifle and as he recently passed, one of his wishes was I use part of my inheritance from him to purchase one in his memory. ...I'm looking for traditional walnut (non-synthetic) Springfield This will be my first classic rifle purchase. Also, I'm buying from Texas so we're all good there.
I like so much about your OP…Father/Son linkage…his favorite rifle…"He's" really buying it for you…classic wood and steel…etc.

I would opine that Dad wouldn't want you to skimp with his money…get the best "classic MIL-SPEC" M1A you can find…that may very well be Springfield Armory. You will NOT be disappointed.

A great gift from your Dad…a great tribute to him…a great hand-me-down in later years.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
Indeed it will be, he also bought me my first handgun, a beretta m92f when I was hard charging with the Marines. Also, he left me 10 30 round magazines and about 600 rounds of 5.45x39 from an ak74 he used to own so I feel like I'm obliged to pick one of those up for him as well.

For what it's worth, he was a great man, spent 35 years in law enforcement in Texas. Also left me his S&W .44 special he carried as a highway patrol officer and had to use to put down a felon 30 years ago.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
get the best "classic MIL-SPEC" M1A
I was going to mention the SA9121. Douglas barrel, walnut with a nifty adjustable cheek rest, double lug, match everything...

53870.jpg

Renegade One

None
For what it's worth, he was a great man, spent 35 years in law enforcement in Texas. Also left me his S&W .44 special he carried as a highway patrol officer and had to use to put down a felon 30 years ago.
Well, if you were trying to "make me say Wow!"…you succeeded. WOW!

What a great hand-me-down piece of incredible family history that I'm sure will remain in your family for generations. A couple of things to think about:

1. You know this part, I'm sure, but it's worth saying. Resist any temptation you may ever have to get it "re-blued", made to look like new, change the grips or anything like that. Whatever patina, holster-wear, etc. it may have are part of the history itself. Don't change any of that. Like I said, I'm sure you know that…but some folks don't consider that until it's too late.
2. If you don't already have one, I'd strongly recommend you consider making or buying a custom-fitted wood presentation case for the pistol. You know the deal…velvet-covered foam interior that's custom-fitted for the pistol. Plenty of room around the gun or up on the lid-lining to display/attach whatever other "memorabilia" is germane to the pistol…your Dad's badge or uniform accoutrements (cap device, collar insignia, rank devices, stripes, Texas DPS shoulder patches, whatever...) …you get the idea.
3. Some day, when you have the time, prep and print out a "Letter of Provenance" about the pistol, identifying it specifically by manufacturer, model designation, serial number, caliber, barrel length, etc., and EVERYTHING your Dad ever told you about "the history" of the gun's issue, service, years of carry, your Dad's LEO career, etc. Enclose a copy of the letter inside the presentation case, and keep another somewhere safe in case it ever gets stolen. Some good quality pictures of the revolver would also be good…to facilitate tracking it down and recovering it if it should ever go missing.

Sorry to sound "tutorial", but stuff like this just rings my bell. As a side personal note, my wife's father was a WWII Navy veteran...commissioning "plank owner" and QM2 on an LCI in the Pacific theater during the last half of the island-hopping invasions. After the war, he joined the Pennsauken Police Department in New Jersey, and retired as the senior Sergeant with the force. As was the custom, he was allowed to keep his badge and service pistol. After he passed away, my wife's mother returned the pistol to the PD, because she didn't like guns. We didn't learn about this until long after the fact. It would have been very nice (and appropriate, in my mind…) if Mom has asked my wife (the oldest of the 7 children, and the ONLY one of the 7 to ever follow her father into the service...she was a Navy Lieutenant, Nurse Corps, in the Vietnam era) if SHE would have wanted to take possession of her father's service revolver. Oh well…too bad, so sad…no family heirloom there. But I would have surely done all that I describe above had she/we had the opportunity to do so.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
Hozer, that is a good looking rifle...

R1, thanks for the advice, I'm a little ahead of you, he had taken off the original wood grips in favor of a more all weather rubber one and I've since switched it back to the original ones it came with. It is a beautiful gun and I can't wait to shoot it.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
To correct my previous post, only LRB makes M-14s with forged receivers. After a little research, they seem to be top notch and are no doubt pricy. I'm trying to show some restraint and not buy one. Sure is tempting though. My advise would be to take your time and find the best rifle available, configured the way you want it. You might have to wait a few months for an order, but it'll well worth it. This advice however, is a bit hypocritical as I am the most impatient person that I know. Best of luck.

b0pric01

pilot
Just FYI, budspolicesupply.com usually has pretty good deals on stuff and has SA M1As on the site, but they aren't in stock right now. You can make an account, put the one you want on your wishlist, and they will email you when in stock. You have to email them a copy of your mil ID to get approved to buy from them.

Bevo16

pilot
I bought one back in 2009ish, and I love the thing. I went with Springfield's "Loaded Standard" which has all of the match features (2 stage trigger, heavier barrel, etc) except for the glass bedded stock. You have to get their National Match version for that.

I added an ARMS#18 scope mount and a Sightron 3.5-10 SIII scope.

This is what it looks like:

7722_158563845652_3860687_n.jpg

And this is what it can do at 100 yards:

24777_382302800652_4346965_n.jpg

That's a dime, yo!

I will warn you, ammo ain't cheap for this rig. Even surplus stuff is more than $1 a round right now and match grade stuff is closer to $2 per bang....if you can find it. I invested in a RCBS Rock Chunker and all the right reloading gear a few years ago when I was going through my divorce (every dollar I spent was 50 cents that bitch didn't get) so I can roll my own a lot cheaper than you can find it at the stores. Still, reloading components are hard to come by now.

Feel free to fire any questions you might have. I've also taken it hunting quite a bit. I've killed white tail, axis, blackbuck antelope, red-stag, coon, armadillo, possum, and scores of hogs with that rifle. It's a killer.