• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for an Aviation Mentor in Tidewater area

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
I am looking for a mentor of sorts. I am a BM2 stationed at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown with Riverine Squadron THREE and have aspirations to become a P-3 Pilot or NFO through STA-21. My CO has been trying to track down some contacts he knew but they have moved on to bigger things not in the area. He has given me the go ahead to spend some time around a squadron. What I am asking is if anyone would be willing to show me the ropes of aviation and assist me in furthering my knowledge of aviation since I have never been around it.

Any takers? P-3 is not a must but that is the platform I was looking into.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
You may want to try broadening your search away from P-3's. Whether or not you can find someone to mentor you, if you go through with the STA-21 application, you will need a 13XX to sit on your external board.
Just a thought, but you could try calling the Station SAR squadron at NOB Norfolk since they tend to be much less busy than a fleet squadron.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
You may want to try broadening your search away from P-3's. Whether or not you can find someone to mentor you, if you go through with the STA-21 application, you will need a 13XX to sit on your external board.
Just a thought, but you could try calling the Station SAR squadron at NOB Norfolk since they tend to be much less busy than a fleet squadron.

I don't think there is a Station SAR anymore. The last one at Oceania closed several years ago.

OP - There are no P-3 squadrons in Norfolk. Limiting yourself now is not wise. Just try to find a pilot in the area to help you out. If your CO can't find one then reach out to your CMC. He will probably know of a CMC at one of the squadrons that can put you in contact with someone. If you really want to talk to a P-3 guy in ORF then head to the nearest CVN. Bound to find one there living the good life.

You should also give some more info. Age, amount of college you have, etc and do some searches on AW. Lots of questions you have are probably already answered some where on this forum.

BourneID

pilot
Ys, no P3 squadron in Norfolk, however CPRG is, and I am pretty sure they have several P-3 pilots/NFOs on staff. You wouldn't really be getting around squadron spaces per say, but you can get the skinny from the been there done that guys/gals.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Like I said before it does not have to be A P-3 pilot since I am not even sure what air frame I will end up with. Helo, fixed wing, jet, whomever is willing to help.

A little additional information on me. I just turned 22 on the 2nd and was a STA-21 alternate for FY-09 (SWO option), just finished my associates in management and have 88 college credits. I have applied 2 times to STA-21 and am very familiar with that process. I am also looking to submit a flying CWO package but am still very unfamiliar with it. I am a junior yet motivated E-5 having been in the Navy only 2.5 years.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You sound like a pretty much ideal candidate for the Flying Warrant program, especially given that you're up for VP. Are you actually a designated SWCC or just assigned to the RIVRON?

There's a NAVADMIN on the street now (067/09) for the next FWO selection board. Your Admin shop should be able to pull it up for you pretty easily, or you can get it yourself off BuPers Online.

Here's some highlights:
SEVEN PERSONNEL WILL BE COMMISSIONED AS CWO2, ATTEND LDO/CWO INDOCTRINATION TRAINING, THEN UNDERGO FLIGHT TRAINING. FOUR PILOTS AND THREE NFO'S WILL BE SELECTED BY THE JULY 2009 BOARD. AFTER FLIGHT SCHOOL, THE NEWLY WINGED AVIATORS WILL RECEIVE FLEET REPLACEMENT SQUADRON (FRS) TRAINING BEFORE REPORTING TO THE FLEET. TARGETED COMMUNITIES INCLUDE: VP, VQ (P), VQ (T), HSC, AND HSL.

VQ(P) is EP-3's and VQ(T) is E-6's.

COMPLETED APPLICATIONS ARE DUE TO COMNAVPERSCOM (PERS-432V) NO LATER THAN 12 JUNE 2009. THE BOARD WILL CONVENE ON 13 JULY 2009. SOME OF THE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (AGE WAIVER, NAVAL OPERATIONAL MEDICINE INSTITUTE (NOMI) APPROVED PHYSICAL, AVIATION STANDARD TEST BATTERY (ASTB) TEST RESULTS) REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT LEAD TIME TO COMPLETE (SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS), SO PROSPECTIVE APPLICANTS SHOULD START EARLY.
SPECIFIC PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
A. MUST BE COMMISSIONED BY 27TH BIRTHDAY. AGE WAIVER INFORMATION IS ON THE COMNAVPERSCOM (PERS-43) WEBSITE UNDER FLYING CWO AGE WAIVER LINK.
B. ENLISTED PERSONNEL FROM SEAL, SWCC, EOD, DIVER, NUCLEAR AND MA COMMUNITIES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY.
C. MUST POSSESS AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE OR HIGHER.
D. MUST BE PHYSICALLY QUALIFIED FOR AVIATION DUTY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NAVY MANUAL OF MEDICINE.
E. MUST MEET ASTB MINIMUMS. SEND OFFICIAL NOMI SCORE SHEET WITH PACKAGE. MINIMUM SCORES ARE AQR=4, PFAR=5, AND FOFAR=5.
F. MUST MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR A SECRET SECURITY CLEARANCE.

Good luck to you! I think the Flying Warrant gig is probably the best deal in Naval Aviation. Essentially, you get to be a JO forever.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
No we are not SWCC, we are the conventional side of the riverine community. I was actually unaware of the Flying CWO program till my CO forwarded me the recent NAVADMIN on it. There is such little info on it compared to STA-21. I am concerned that my degree will not be in my hands by the time the deadline arrives. I have submitted my SMART with the final CLEP I needed. That can take up to a month to post and then the college said 6-8 weeks for printing of the degree. It will be cutting it close but hopefully all goes well.

If anyone has submitted a Flying CWO package please feel free to PM with advice.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the school can certify that you've completed the degree requirements, the paper degree shouldn't matter much. I think you've got enough time to make the FWO board if that interests you.

There's not much out there on the FWO program because it's still very new. The first Pilot Warrants got their wings last year. Do a search here; there's been a lot of news and discussion about the program on the board. If flying for the Navy is your ultimate goal, then this program is a great way to do it.

Sounds like you're well set-up for success. Already a 2nd class at 22 speaks well to your motivation. And it's very good that your skipper is supportive. Not much P-3's in your area, but loads of helo bubbas at Norfolk, incuding at least one of the helo RAG's.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
I talked with the college and they can have it posted to my transcript within a week of receiving and processing my SMART. Then I need to get it posted to my SMART as well which shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I would like to thank you all for the help I have been given so far. I lurked around the board the past two fiscal years and this place has been a huge asset throughout my applications and not to mention the wait for results.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Have my aviation physical and ASTB scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I have spoken with several officers who are willing to endorse my package but are requesting I write the LOR and they will chop and sign. I have already written my CO and XO LOR so I am running short on phrases and ideas. Can anyone provide any examples of LOR that were used in their pilot package?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
^-- I was selected for the FY09 STA-21 pilot. I'm in Rhode Island doing BOOST now. PM me your email address and I will help with the LORs and anything else you have questions about.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
I have a quick question for you guys that have been around a bit longer than myself. I just received my first E-5 eval and it is lower than what I am used to getting. I just want to know if it will hurt me since it is a dip in the usual scores for me. My two E-4 evals are a frocked 4.43 EP and a regular 4.17 EP. My E-5 I just received is a 3.57 MP.

The write up is good and I had all the collateral duties covered. My chief told me there just aren't enough EPs to go around and if they checked my blocks higher than that they couldn't justify an MP. He said by writing ***PROMOTE TO FIRST CLASS PETTY OFFICER.*** it served the same purpose in terms of a board reviewing it.

I know I am a junior second so it would be hard to get the EP but will the board look at this as an issue?

Thanks

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If this is your first E-5 eval than you are fine. Not everyone can be an EP. You just need to show improvement on every eval.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
My command has had trouble locating the labels for the brown folder listed in the program guidance. I contacted Mindy (Melinda Weeden) and she said to send it in and she would put one on. I guess this is a common problem? Does anyone have any of the labels they would be willing to mail to me? The Stock number is [FONT=&quot]7530-00-082-2662.

I would rather send it in correct as opposed to having her fix it.
[/FONT]