• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Lockheed buys Sikorsky

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I should know this, but I can't remember...I think all 3 OFTs at NRB have PCOSIs now, so you're seeing the current "generation" of what the OS is supposed to be. Prior to 86 series/SYSCONFIG 14, you had a joy stick and fixed function keys. You'd still have the pop-up window option for some things, but you could quickly get to a function as you started a process because the keys would change as you selected different options. It still required you to get buried deep within a sub-system though. Then came the 75-series and all of the pop-up windows (this is actually when I started learning the system) and the fixed-function keys went away (other than the ones you now see on your CDU). As a result, you now get lost in various pop-up windows as you try to get to some sub-function. Even something as simple as shutting down the computer (something you should be familiar with now) requires 5 steps to make happen.

THEN they came out with the PCOSI, which reduced you ability to tab and scroll like you could with the joy stick setup. So now you become even more dependent moving that stupid mouse around, assuming your potato isn't gummed up with horsecock sandwich grease. While it may not seem like a big deal now, trying to quickly throw a fix, or even set up a buoy FTP quickly is a much more involved process, made more annoying if you're bouncing around trying to keep your hook steady.

And don't even get me started about the mess that is the Flight Display. At least they could put boxes around the various Nav data.

Thanks for the explanation. All three OFTs do have the PCOSIs, but I've heard some of the aircraft on the line haven't upgraded yet. I suppose I've been shielded from knowing what came before the upgrade.

horsecock sandwich grease

I can't wait to use this sequence of words on somebody at some point in the near future.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the explanation. All three OFTs do have the PCOSIs, but I've heard some of the aircraft on the line haven't upgraded yet. I suppose I've been shielded from knowing what came before the upgrade.

That is correct. More times than not lately I get a PCOSI bird, but there are still a few that have the joystick...which usually involves me trying to find the IDENT and MOT button for a few minutes. I actually prefer the old keyset, though, so while it's annoying to jump back and forth, I kind of welcome getting in a non-upgraded bird.

I can't wait to use this sequence of words on somebody at some point in the near future.

Nothing passes the time during a SSC flight looking forward to your PB&J, only to find that the CSs gave you some horse cock.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
That is correct. More times than not lately I get a PCOSI bird, but there are still a few that have the joystick...which usually involves me trying to find the IDENT and MOT button for a few minutes. I actually prefer the old keyset, though, so while it's annoying to jump back and forth, I kind of welcome getting in a non-upgraded bird.

Nothing passes the time during a SSC flight looking forward to your PB&J, only to find that the CSs gave you some horse cock.

Seriously, PCOSI with the force stick was complete dildos. That was easily the worst of all the iterations.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
If you think the other services have better 60s, you should try delivering foreign sales aircraft. They have some serious bells and whistles. Imagine...an APU accumulator pump handle not located inside the cabin but outside in the transition section!!! No more hunching over inside the cabin to pump up the accumulator. A 5 (FIVE) radio stack including every imaginable frequency capability!

I guess that's what can happen when you don't have to buy several hundred of the same aircraft.