• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legal Waivers and Board Selection

RandomGoat1248

flight hours doesn't matter, as it happens the people who came from my NRD who failed flight school often had their PPL or more, now making sure you don't get airsick in a small plane isn't a bad idea, we had 2 flight school fails (we didn't put them in) who went through our NRD on the way our due to not being able to overcome airsickness.

Meh. A couple of PPL flights is not going to prepare someone to not get air sick while flying a T-6. Full gear in the Florida sun with the helmet fire that primary brings just isn’t replicated.

Airsickness is not something to worry about. Like 60% of students get airsick and like 99% get through it. I was horribly sick on my first couple of flights but by the end of contacts I was completely fine, you get used to it quick.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Seriously, shut the fuck up
Drunk post? I mean, he was asking a fairly innocent question and wasn't being condescending or rude or anything along those lines... He was asking why pilots don't need higher GPAs. It was answered, and he accepted the answer...

To Broski, minimums are just that. Minimums to apply. Does not mean one would get accepted with said minimum. That depends on the number and quality of applicants and how many slots exist that board.

BroskiOCS

To Broski, minimums are just that. Minimums to apply. Does not mean one would get accepted with said minimum. That depends on the number and quality of applicants and how many slots exist that board.
Yeah that makes sense. Allow the board members to weed out a larger pool of applicants. Guess it goes back to the difference in "what is the minimum to apply?" and "what is competitive?"

Sonog

pilot
Hah. Don't get butt hurt. I'm not dissing the Aviation community (or any community for that matter). Quite the opposite, actually. Everyone I've met in Aviation has been extremely intelligent. That's why I'm surprised that the minimum scores to make it to the board are so low. It just didn't make sense to me.

Totally misunderstood the intent of your post. Apologies. Carry on everyone.

MockingbirdT

flight hours doesn't matter, as it happens the people who came from my NRD who failed flight school often had their PPL or more, now making sure you don't get airsick in a small plane isn't a bad idea, we had 2 flight school fails (we didn't put them in) who went through our NRD on the way our due to not being able to overcome airsickness.
if flight hours don't matter, then why do they ask if you have them on the application?

MockingbirdT

There are several items on the application that are not relevant when it comes to the actual board for not just aviation but for other designators as well.
Yea, I hear you, but from what I've seen so far, the ASTB scores of people have who do get picked up vs some ASTB scores of people who don't, it's hard to really determine WHAT does matter. Debate is out whether or not they even read motivational statements, GPA's of all types get selected, so it's just hard to really narrow down what exactly matters.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yea, I hear you, but from what I've seen so far, the ASTB scores of people have who do get picked up vs some ASTB scores of people who don't, it's hard to really determine WHAT does matter. Debate is out whether or not they even read motivational statements, GPA's of all types get selected, so it's just hard to really narrow down what exactly matters.

The ASTB is meant to be an indicator of one's potential to succeed through flight school. Is it 100% accurate? Absolutely not, but it's the only system in place.

Colleges and even certain employment fields like the police have aptitude tests in place as a check, so it's not like this is a first of its kind.

MockingbirdT

The ASTB is meant to be an indicator of one's potential to succeed through flight school. Is it 100% accurate? Absolutely not, but it's the only system in place.

Colleges and even certain employment fields like the police have aptitude tests in place as a check, so it's not like this is a first of its kind.

Do you know if when looking at the ASTB do they focus on the specific score most related to the designator which you're applying? Or is it an overall look?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Do you know if when looking at the ASTB do they focus on the specific score most related to the designator which you're applying? Or is it an overall look?

The official ASTB website gives you a detailed breakdown in which you should be able to tie in to what Pilot and NFO selection boards are searching.

exNavyOffRec

My SNA and SNFO applicants for the motivational statement would put down just one paragraph, about 4-5 lines, that is how little it was looked at, I had one kid picked up whose motivational statement was the following "I wish to be a Naval Aviatior like my grandfather" or something close to it.

MockingbirdT

My SNA and SNFO applicants for the motivational statement would put down just one paragraph, about 4-5 lines, that is how little it was looked at, I had one kid picked up whose motivational statement was the following "I wish to be a Naval Aviatior like my grandfather" or something close to it.
This just further proves my point. I'm actually writing my motivational statement right now, and I am putting everything into it about who I am and why I want to be an officer.

FormerRecruitingGuru

This just further proves my point. I'm actually writing my motivational statement right now, and I am putting everything into it about who I am and why I want to be an officer.

Let's compare this to the civilian section. Does the employer have time to review EVERY single resume? No, they look for key points/factors and disposition accordingly. Think of the aviation boards that way. They simply don't have the time to review the hundreds of applications over the course of several days.

Treat the ASTB like your life depends on it, score well, and assuming you have no medical/drug/legal issues you should be fine...

exNavyOffRec

Odds are they won't even look at it if you have good ASTB scores, unless you have a waiver issue.