• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leave time in Primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

To all you distinquished ladies and Gentleman who've graduated from, or started Primary...

I was wondering if you can get leave while in Primary? I know it's almost impossible in OCS or API, unless an immediate family emergency, but I'm the best man in my brothers wedding in Nov. and if I start OCS in April like I plan to, then I could possibly be there by then.

Any info is mucho appreciated...

D

Derrill Thompson

All,

This is a good question. I will be carrying over 47 days of leave and wonder if it's worth it. If there is no time for leave during OCS/API/Primary, anyone's leave balance should be up to about 30 days before they can take leave.

Maybe I should just take more of it as terminal leave form the Air Force. Anyone have any opinions here?

Derrill

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Taking leave during flight school is never recommended except around the holidays but senior officers are not made of stone. When you check in to primary, tell your class advisor on the VERY first day where you need to go and why. They will understand and will grant you the leave. Semper Fi!

Ed Williams

I was wondering, I'm scheduled to finish OCS the end of Aug. About how long will it be before I get into an API class?
Ed

vicki

I think the wait can vary tremendously. I know a guy stashed right now. He was originally told a six week wait, but then he was told another four after he got to the date when he thought he was supposed to go. On the other hand, I think a three to four week wait was more typical over the summer of 2000. Once again - "needs of the Navy". lol

Ed Williams

I'm actually hoping to get stashed for a bit. I could use some time to hang out in Florida before API and the rest of the training starts. Is there also a waiting period between API and Primary?
ed

vicki

Yes, it depends on where you go for primary. I was in Pcola the last week of January. At that time if you went to Vance for JSUPT with the AF there was no wait. There was a one month wait for Corpus and a three to four month wait for Whiting.

Tahoe

I'm looking at starting the first week in June and finishing up OCS last week of August/first week in Sept....The only thing I'm not really looking forward to is how hot it will be during OCS training!!

Ed Williams

Tahoe,
So, you will be in my OCS class. There are a few people that i know that will be in our group. As for the hot weather, I heard that when it gets too hot, there are black flag days where they can't train outside. From some of the people I talked to, the summer months are hot, but it's not that bad with the black flag days. I guess we'll see.
ed

nickou23

This brings up a good question, I asked before but got conflicting answers. How much input do you have in where you go for primary. My by-then-wife will still be in school here in Austin, at least for a little while, so Corpus would be preferable to Pcola or Vance. But I read somewhere that this was now predetermined before you started API.
Thanks.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Out of sheer curiosity, what are Black Flag conditions? I mean, I've PT'd in some pretty crappy weather (ah, love the 95 deg/110% humidity! ) and was wondering where the Navy cuts off...

Ed Williams

Getting mashed inside doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun, but it beats getting it outside in the hot humid conditions. I'l;l take any positives I can get.
ed

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BOLT = Basic Officer Leadership Training (for aviators). SWO types go through similiar training after their initial part of SWOS, except we call it BOLC, which stands for Basic Officer Leadership Course. The two courses are designed to give the newly commissioned officer more insight on different ways to lead the troops. The fact of the matter is that the courses are incredibly dry and boring.

One of my favorite quotes in aviation is: "First comes the test, then the lesson." Well, this also applies to leadership. More often than not, junior officers are going to lead people how they are going to lead people and then see how that actually works...rather than figuring out first what might work and then trying it. Kind of like shooting from the hip so to speak.

This is probably a long answer to a short question, but there you go.

--Steve Wilkins

Status
Not open for further replies.