• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lateral Transfer Numbers?

uncledave

Does anyone have an idea of how many people are applying for sna and/or snfo in the lateral transfer boards? Does being in the Staff Corp make a difference? Thanks.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
I'll second the request for lat transfer numbers, but I'm curious about those applying for SPECWAR (officers, that is).

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't know how many people applied for pilot or nfo, but there were only 3 slots each navy-wide on the june 2005 board, so it's gonna be competitive. On a side note, all six selected in June 2005 were warfare-qualifed SWOs (1115).

As for SpecWar, I haven't seen anbody get selected on the past few boards, nor have I seen them having slots in the quota section.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/ActiveDutyTransferRedesignation/

Hope this helps

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Hmm, that's interesting about SPECWAR. I know a former SWO who managed to get orders to BUD/S recently, but he had been waiting a long time. He must have been redesignated before the June '04 board.

I had heard that they have a surplus of officers right now, just as the aviation community apparently does.

ETA: I followed a NAVPERS link from the Surface Warfare page and found a list on Bupers Online of the SWOs who were recently selected for redesignation to SPECWAR. Sure enough my acquaintance's name was there. I wonder why those results weren't listed along with the rest of the redesignation boards?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
McNamara said:
ETA: I followed a NAVPERS link from the Surface Warfare page and found a list on Bupers Online of the SWOs who were recently selected for redesignation to SPECWAR. Sure enough my acquaintance's name was there. I wonder why those results weren't listed along with the rest of the redesignation boards?

That's a good point. I think because I remember hearing guys go from URL to URL without going through the semi-annual redesignation board. The bulk of people on lat xfer boards are going URL to RL/SC. Granted, all the pilots and NFOs picked up this past board were SWOs, but there's gotta be some sort of URL to URL board that is different. For example, NFO to pilot is a whole different board. I'd see if I could get a hold of your SWO aquaintance to find out what he did.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Well, I know he had to have kick-ass PT scores (duh), a letter of recommendation from a senior SEAL officer, and his own CO's endorsement. I would ask him what board he had to go through but he's a little busy getting wet and sandy right now. ;)

This might not be kosher, but could I just phone/email the SEAL officer detailer and ask him what I need to do? Needless to say I won't be anywhere near getting my package together for some time but I am trying to find out as much info in advance as possible.

Jeff29

Science Project
crest said:
Does anyone have an idea of how many people are applying for sna and/or snfo in the lateral transfer boards? Does being in the Staff Corp make a difference? Thanks.
Being in the Staff Corps didn't seem to hurt when I applied.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
McNamara said:
This might not be kosher, but could I just phone/email the SEAL officer detailer and ask him what I need to do? Needless to say I won't be anywhere near getting my package together for some time but I am trying to find out as much info in advance as possible.

I'd say go for it. What's the worst that could happen? I mean now that I think of it, SPECWAR has to have it's own board, because the semi-annual board is so dry. If you haven't seen one of those packages, it's just things like your latest fit-rep, college transcripts, and some basic background info like source of commissioning, DOB, etc. Then there's an "additional information part" which is your one chance to make a statement. I'm sure the SPECWAR is going to want to interview its applicants and such.

In case you haven't gone here, I think there's some lat xfer info on this site:

www.seal.navy.mil (I got it off the back cover of All Hands 2 cruises ago)

Good luck!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The detailer is just gonna tell you to contact the Accessions person (whatever community you want to lateral over to). He'll tell you everything you need to do. You'll have to log onto BUPERS website at www.npc.navy.mil in order to get the contact info (email, phone number, name). If you can't log on, just PM me.

However, if you didn't know what I just told you, of course it is kosher to contact the detailer. Detailers are there to work for you.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Thanks for the offer, I've got a login and the contact info as well. I'll probably send him an email before I start to get my package together.

Jeff29

Science Project
Steve Wilkins said:
The detailer is just gonna tell you to contact the Accessions person (whatever community you want to lateral over to). He'll tell you everything you need to do. You'll have to log onto BUPERS website at www.npc.navy.mil in order to get the contact info (email, phone number, name). If you can't log on, just PM me.

However, if you didn't know what I just told you, of course it is kosher to contact the detailer. Detailers are there to work for you.
When I did my lat transfer to aviation, I actually worked directly with the detailer; I never talked to an accessions person. Personally, I would just email the detailer, and ask for his help; you can find info at https://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SPECWAR/ContactInfo.htm (this is an unsecure page).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
When I did my lat transfer to aviation, I actually worked directly with the detailer; I never talked to an accessions person. Personally, I would just email the detailer, and ask for his help; you can find info at https://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SPECWAR/ContactInfo.htm (this is an unsecure page).
That is very interesting. They must be doing thing differently and glad to see the change actually. Thanks for the info.