• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Land based vs Carrier based aviation

joel794613

Hey everyone I was recently selected for NFO and I have a general question that I can not seem to find a solid answer on.

After OCS and API does an NFO or SNA get to choose the platform they want to fly? I know obliviously the needs of the Navy come first but does the candidate get to put there preferred in or is it all pretty blindly chosen for you.

I'm shooting for anything carrier based.

- Carrier Based Aviation (EA18g, F18F, E2's)
- Land-Based (EP3, P3, E6)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You get to request. Search harder for posts on how it all works.

joel794613

Much appreciated. Googling and still looking.

Everything I seem to turn up states, sna or nfo are selected for what they will be flying for the next session of training/pipeline. I'm just trying to see if the sna or nfo can put in a preference.

edit- So judging from this post is based off how well you fly/perform. Is that safe to say?

https://navysna.wordpress.com/

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even then it is not a guarantee, I have known several number #1's not get their first choice due to needs of the Navy.
Flash is right. No real guarantee. You want P-8s and no slot is available they are not going to build another P-8 or transfer a guy early to accommodate a #1 just winging. And if they have a critical shortage in E-2s you may go there. While both pretty rare, the second scenario is a bit more rare.

joel794613

Thanks for all the incite guys! I'm just going to try as hard as I can and see what comes of it.