• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

KP grads or current midn

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJV

While at KP, can you get the PRK? If so, does it come out of your pocket or does the academy pay for it (or at least helps out). Thanks

Dave

VAmookie

KP will not pay for PRK... in fact, no academy will. I think you could get the surgery while you will there but it would be shady to do so. If you asked they would say no. If you did, i dont think you'd get the boot but it surely wouldnt be recommended. Maybe during the summer when youve got recovery time, but KP's summers are only like 4 weeks long (they've got the longest school year of all the academies)

H20man

Drill baby drill!
yeah im looking real forward to that July 9th thing to some date in June school year... i didnt think they would pay for PRK considering we have to pay for our laptops, service fees plus medical coverage. 6k for the first year and 12k total spread over the 4 years.

petescheu

CORPSviation said:
KP will not pay for PRK... in fact, no academy will.

That's not true at all... Annapolis has been sending Mids to Bethesda I believe it is to have PRK done, all paid for by the Navy, for the last several years. Of course you have to be in the medical parameters to have the procedure done, but it's been done every year now since the class of 2001 I believe, for easily over 100 kids a year. Which makes pilot slots much more competitive since now eyesight is no longer a factor for more people...

H20man

Drill baby drill!
hell that would be nice... one of the reasons i picked USMMA over USNA is that if my eyes fook me over im not suck with a few options. at USMMA i have ton of options.

DJV

Right now my eyes are 20/40 and bound to get worse in the next four years. I have no doubt I want to go aviation so what should I do? Should I risk getting the surgury or hope to God that my vison stays in tact? Getting anxious and excited for July 9.

DJV

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
get'em cut

but you might not be a candidate for PRK with 20/40, you would have to see first

H20man

Drill baby drill!
yeah, july 9th is getting closer... ive heard rumors about this indoc though... i hope to god they arent true.

Integer1

Banned
Share some? Are their military war professors who are teaching from experience, mostly AF veterans? Is the water polluted and you must stay on shore for four years? Have they accidentally accepted 2000 instead of 200 candidates, forcing them to add hoops of fire and diving from a height of 300m into an 8-ounce glass of water as tasks one must master? Pray tell? :)

H20man

Drill baby drill!
no supposedly its supposed to be more PC this year... they can only yell at us for 2 hours a day... and at the end we are going to a mets game... if this is true... our class is gonna get ****ed on by the 2007s, but oh well cant change it, but then again its only rumors.

lol hoops of fire... now that would be interesting.

Integer1

Banned
Man, that takes the fun out of it. I am actually starting to believe that Navy plebe summer is easier than usual after hearing so many rumors. I heard part of the reason it's easier is that plebe summer is designed so that females can make it through, thus it should be slightly easier for guys than thirty years ago. But easier than 5 years ago? That's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.