• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

KMEI FBO

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone have any first-hand experiences with the Meridian FBO at MEI? Seems like a decent place, other than the random jet dudes playing with their model airplanes...

I'm looking at making a fuel/lunch stop there later in the summer while making a long trip west (and probably back there coming east) and trying to find a fairly painless place to grab gas and some air conditioning (I may have a dog in tow who won't enjoy the summer temps down low).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They have an autodog!

Stopped in there a few times in the T-6. They'd let us borrow the crew car for about an hour or so. The facility is pretty decent (rooms, furniture, clean). Pretty limited food in the FBO itself though, IIRC the hot dog machine reminded me of Apu's Kwik-E-Mart and the vending machine is probably filled by the same people who the Navy gets to fill theirs.

But the free ice cream stands out to me (seriously, to me that's right up there with free pizza).

FinkUFreaky

pilot
yeah, as mentioned, hot dogs and pop corn. Or a crew car to go in town. If the legs work, I'd stop at KHSA (Stennis). It's pretty much the go-to for KNPA O&Is. Great food, awesome facilities. Amazing movie theatre with great chairs when you're waiting for night time. And the cookies... I think dogs have been allowed inside before by Terry Bradshaw at least, not sure if it's allowed for all.

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpg
    IMG_3825.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have a dog that flies with you? That's awesome.

I think there's a picture of him over in the Grizz flying thread. He's still a spaz, but he's only gone on short trips, so hopefully I can get him accustomed to longer ones. He's a little guy and a brachycephalic dog, so the heat will add up fast, but with my wife's work schedule, he might have to come with me.

If the legs work, I'd stop at KHSA (Stennis).

I never made it over there. I think it's too far south for what I'm trying to do...trying to RON in KDTO (or thereabouts) that first day while staying high for cabin temp.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
KMEI is awesome. We use it everyday from KNMM as an O/I spot to quick turn between events. In good times they have hot dogs, waffles, ice cream, beverages and snacks all for free. Wednesdays are burgers and Fridays is pizza. Under quarantine they just have beverages and frozen meals....and ice cream.

I don't know how much gas is considering we pay contract prices, but knowing the government we probably pay about three times what you'd pay.

Jim123

pilot
Avgas at MEI has been priced very competitively, compared to the region, for several years. (And the southeastern U.S. region usually has pretty cheap avgas compared to most of the rest of the country.)

(Although these days with half the economy shutdown, avgas prices are kind of in their own weird world. FBOs tend to set fuel prices based on what they paid last time they got a new shipment and leave it that way until the next shipment. If they're selling a low volume then sometimes they'll keep the old price for weeks or months, rather than lower the price to "market" and move more volume- including get new volume.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Avgas at MEI has been priced very competitively, compared to the region, for several years. (And the southeastern U.S. region usually has pretty cheap avgas compared to most of the rest of the country.)

Yeah, and the Jet Centers are still charging $5+/gal (and often a ramp fee). It pays to service those that live large, I guess.

I've wondered what my company pays for gas, relative to the pump prices. The normal place I get gas they already have us on file, (or I use company gas tanks at a hospital). We have about 9 different gas cards, but the one time I tried to use one to buy oil, none of them worked, so I just paid with my own card.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Anyone have any first-hand experiences with the Meridian FBO at MEI? Seems like a decent place, other than the random jet dudes playing with their model airplanes...

I'm looking at making a fuel/lunch stop there later in the summer while making a long trip west (and probably back there coming east) and trying to find a fairly painless place to grab gas and some air conditioning (I may have a dog in tow who won't enjoy the summer temps down low).
@Gatordev take a look in ForeFlight (on the iPad, not web) and there is a user comments field in the airport info box - usually has recent FBO reviews and totally crowdsourced. I've found it to be a great source of this kind of information....

Jim123

pilot
@Gatordev take a look in ForeFlight (on the iPad, not web) and there is a user comments field in the airport info box - usually has recent FBO reviews and totally crowdsourced. I've found it to be a great source of this kind of information....
Speaking of which, don't rely on AirNav for their customer reviews- they're notorious for deleting the negative ones.