• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

kingsville or Meridian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never been to Kingsville. The "city" of Meridian sucks. I've heard Kingsville is worse. I can't confirm that though, since well, I've never been there.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Go to Kingsville. You will get done in 9-12 months as opposed to 15-18 in Meridian. I had put down Kingsville as my first choice for selection, but the Navy sent my ass packing back to Meridian. The town of Kingsville might suck but you are only 30 minutes away from Corpus. Some people might not care much for CC but I did Primary there and I really liked the town.

SuperChris

Thanks for the replys, but what I was looking for was more along the lines of training. I heard that K-rock is transitioning to charlies, but when is that going to happen. Also, is it worth going to meridian just for the glass cocpit?I have just been getting very little information about what both places are like, so I'm trying to get informed. Also for you guys who are already there, what made you choose j1 or j2. Thanks
chris

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
^ what he said.

BTW, j1=meridian?

Chris, you sound like you're complete. When do you select?

SuperChris

not complete yet, just finishing up RI's then going back to PA's + Forms. I should be selecting some time in Mar/Apr
chris

J1=meridian

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
super chris said:
Thanks for the replys, but what I was looking for was more along the lines of training. I heard that K-rock is transitioning to charlies, but when is that going to happen. Also, is it worth going to meridian just for the glass cocpit?I have just been getting very little information about what both places are like, so I'm trying to get informed. Also for you guys who are already there, what made you choose j1 or j2. Thanks
chris

I chose Meridian (J1) because of the T-45C and I heard it was better than Kingsville in terms of quality of life.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Back in the DAY" (... sigh ... ) when everyone went through Meridian and then K-Burg or Chase, there was no question -- obviously, and sometimes, that's a good thing (with appology to Martha Stewart).

So it was K-Burg (as it used to be called) or Chase for Advanced Jets. The decision always boiled down to: O.K., MEN, Which do you like better: SH!T or P!ZZ in the face? That was a good yardstick for purposes of comparison. :)

No need worry about Beeville (Chase) as it is now a prison -- some would say type-cast, as it always was ..... Soooooo, aircraft models aside, as I know nothing specific about the current choices -- except that they are very British and therefore very gay ... I would vote: TEXAS !! HOOOAH !!

Every Naval Aviator needs a Texas experience somewhere in his emotional logbook ....

141597.jpg

Kingsville_TX_69sect.jpg
585Flag.jpg
496791.jpg

Again, without knowing the aircraft, but having lived and flown out of all three -- and considering:

weather (it's all relative)
living conditions (it's all relative)
off-duty activities (it's all relative)
Tex-Mex and Bar-B-Q (THAT's NOT RELATIVE)

My choice has got to be:

#1 NAS Chase Field (O.K.-Beeville-but forget it)
#2 NAS Kingsville
#3 ... anywhere else ...
#4 NAS Meridian

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!!

petescheu

That's funny, because I heard Meridian sucks more than K-Rok... not that there's anything going on HERE though. Charlie conversion is already happenin, we have two OFT's that are almost done and we received delivery of our first Charlie model, plus we are borrowing some C's from Meridian... but all those are for the instructor Quals. It seems like they have gotten most of the senior instructors qualed already, although who knows when they are going to start students on them. Probably at a minimum several more months. If you want to go digital then go to Meridian, but like they said, chances are good you'll be there twice as long as K-Rok. Right now VT-21 is the fastest squadron to get through TS training out of both wings, we are working on about 12 months for Navy kids and even less for some Marines. In terms of training Studs can't compare seeing as how obviously we've only been to one place... I'm sure the training is equivalent in terms of instruction. Really I think it comes down to whether or not you want digital (and all the associated gucci/crutch toys that they have) and whether or not you want to fly twice a week or eight-ten times a week... whatever floats your boat.
Not to burst your bubble, but like was mentioned, it probably won't be up to you in the end anyways, so just roll with what you get. Flying is the shiznit regardless...

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Backing up what shoo says, you want to get done faster, come to K-rock.

BTW, the word on the street says first stud class to start C models will be June.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
shoo24 said:
Really I think it comes down to whether or not you want digital (and all the associated gucci/crutch toys that they have)

So when you possibly get in a Hornet, are those features a crutch? :-p

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
jetguy1976 said:
I had heard that the "twice as long" problem was soon to be fixed at Meridian? Any takers?

I don’t know about the “soon” part but, the time to train problem in Meridian will get better. In my squadron almost ¾ of the studs are currently stuck in Phase II. If too many studs are in Phase II at the same time it causes a huge jam in the entire squadron. No can move up in training due to the fact that the more senior studs are using up all the qualified IP’s in the advanced stages of training (ACM, Multi-plane ONAV’s etc). So when you have the majority of the studs in Phase II, it basically means that everyone gets to sit on their ass and complain how bad Meridian sucks (which is seriously does). When this glut of studs gets through, which is happening now, the time to train will get better.

jetguy1976

Patmack and BigWorm, it's good to hear that you guys are moving right along... I would not necessarily expect it to last, though. I have first-hand info about filling a need in far-away places and they are going to use VT instructors (already started, actually). Sooooo, it might take a little longer than November Patmack, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.