• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Killing with Keyboards/ Good OPSEC Brief

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, I was thinking that Rob left before that cruise, but there were a couple other AW regulars who were there @BigIron @pilot_man

He's retired now, so I think we can identify CAPT C. Ladd Wheeler as a bit of an eccentric in the leadership department.

Oh, God. More than "a bit eccentric". I made the tail end of that cruise. :confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s right. Didn’t mean to exclude you from our pitty party. :D

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Mandatory Fitbit, Garmin, VitoFit and Strava training coming in 3...2....1.....

FTA: "An interactive map posted on the internet that shows the whereabouts of people who use fitness devices such as Fitbit also reveals highly sensitive information about the location and activities of soldiers at U.S. military bases, in what appears to be a major security oversight. The Global Heat Map, published by the GPS tracking company Strava, uses satellite information to map the location and movements of subscribers to the company's fitness service over a two-year period, by illuminating areas of activity."

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Mandatory Fitbit, Garmin, VitoFit and Strava training coming in 3...2....1.....

FTA: "An interactive map posted on the internet that shows the whereabouts of people who use fitness devices such as Fitbit also reveals highly sensitive information about the location and activities of soldiers at U.S. military bases, in what appears to be a major security oversight. The Global Heat Map, published by the GPS tracking company Strava, uses satellite information to map the location and movements of subscribers to the company's fitness service over a two-year period, by illuminating areas of activity."
Dude wearing his Strava in the box has got some BALLS.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
To clarify, you don't "wear" Strava - you upload to Strava using any number of so-called wearables. Some quick exploring of the Heat Map shows some troubling trends.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
To clarify, you don't "wear" Strava - you upload to Strava using any number of so-called wearables. Some quick exploring of the Heat Map shows some troubling trends.
Ya, sorry, not familiar with the intricacies of Strava. I only wear my NAVAIR-issue hypoxia garmin with the broken “flying” app. Some admiral uploaded a shit load of money into that boondoggle.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
As if the multitude of Marines jogging by in silkies wasn’t a dead giveaway...
But I thought you blend in when you're in other countries as long as you don't wear a giant cowboy hat and a loud, patriotic T-shirt. I believe this based on what I've heard in multiple liberty briefs, sir. Multiple.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's all about the beard! I dunno. I've looked at the map in places where I know we operate. Doesn't appear to provide much in the way of actionable info to would be adversaries. I imagine it could in some situations (showing patrol routes, for example), but this all sounds a bit chicken little to me.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I bet it probably does show some patrol routes- there are guys dumb enough to do that without realizing it.

But the bread crumbs overlaid on the satellite imagery of the base probably do little more than help confirm the obvious- like which buildings on Google Earth are the DFAC, barracks, gym, motor pool, ops/HQ, etc. Or which buildings are which because your mole on base told you which ones are which.

Still a pretty boneheaded gimme. These guys should be shamed by having to give remedial opsec training.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Over/under for how long:
1. it takes a service member(s) to draw a big dick
2. it takes said service member(s) to get in trouble

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This is all being discussed right now on NPR....

Just the tip of the iceberg wrt OPSEC. This is coming to light since Strava is doing a heat map visualization.

You can imagine a policy on connected devices coming soon ..... what else is still undiscovered.