• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JPAS or SF 86?

SpaceApe29

The question: For the board are they looking for a JPAS form or your complete sf-86 (the 95 page one) if you already have an active TS clearance?

My last unit S-2 shredded my SF-86 printout after my clearance had been finished but my recruiter wanted the SF-86 verifying I had a clearance. The form my S-2 told me was standard was the JPAS. Is this correct?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
JPAS is the standard for verification. It's actually a system, so the JPAS printout is a normal way to verify your clearance if the requesting unit/agency does not have access to the JPAS site. Your SF-86 is just the application form. Having a completed SF-86 proves absolutely nothing except that you did (or were about to) apply for a clearance.

Having said that, I doubt that your recruiter knows all of that. He probably has a checklist that says "SF-86". He wants his SF-86. Same with the board, I would suppose.

In short, you're correct. Sadly, the fastest way to get him on board would probably just be to fill out another SF-86. Explaining all of this to him would probably just slow down your application process, although you could try to explain it to him one last time. You can't be the first applicant in the history of the navy to already have a clearance.

When your new SF-86 gets to OPM, they'll probably just shitcan it unless you're near a review date.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Hey Ape, my packet only had my JPAS print out showing I had a secret clearance. If I were you, I would check with the processor instead of the recruiter on that one. They'll know a little more about that.

On a happier note, today was my last day wearing ACUs. I almost cried, I won't lie.

SpaceApe29

You cried over not wearing poo-moflage clown suits? Weenie. Seriously though I might just do that too, but don't tell any of my joes.

JPAS worked huh? Alrighty I just sent a digital copy to my recruiter yesterday and when he gets in on Monday (It's Monday here, Sunday there right now) I'll call to make sure this is a go. The G-2 here (my BN and BDE S-2 is in the field at Hohenfels) won't open up another investigation just for me to print out an SF-86 due to the sheer volume of cases they already have, so JPAS will have to be it.

SpaceApe29

Nope, had to dig up a digital copy of my SF-86 and send it to my OR. Future reference for all that apply with prior clearances - you need that SF-86!

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Nope, had to dig up a digital copy of my SF-86 and send it to my OR. Future reference for all that apply with prior clearances - you need that SF-86!

See, I didn't, and the OR/Processor sent my packet up... I'm living proof that the JPAS printoff will work. I think you just need to slap some sense into your or :)

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
See, I didn't, and the OR/Processor sent my packet up... I'm living proof that the JPAS printoff will work. I think you just need to slap some sense into your or :)

That's a little disappointing. My recruiter called me up the day before I was going in to finalize my paperwork and told me I needed to do the SF-86 despite having a TS/SCI. I don't believe he included a JPAS printout with my packet (although I did mention it in my application). The recruiter told me that they (the board) use information from the SF-86 to supplement your packet. I guess he was misinformed.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
That's a little disappointing. My recruiter called me up the day before I was going in to finalize my paperwork and told me I needed to do the SF-86 despite having a TS/SCI. I don't believe he included a JPAS printout with my packet (although I did mention it in my application). The recruiter told me that they (the board) use information from the SF-86 to supplement your packet. I guess he was misinformed.

If you're using the new application, this is possible. I was using the old application, which was a little different. It's possible that the new application does leave off some additional information that can be found on the SF86?

Lucy

The new application doesn't have a spot for work info, which I think would be relevent, so it is likely that they will look at the security forms if they need to look at that type of experience.