• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jobs related to your degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant73

Truthfully I have no idea how the SWO community works. I am enlisted and was once stationed aboard a ship. I remember Ensigns comming aboard and they become DIVOS of engineeering or the DCA. I had asked one of the new ensigns what his degree was in; I was a little surprised when he told me economics. I had always thought that all SWOs had technical degrees. I guess I had learned something.

solenita72

SWO Wife
There are alot of history major,english, philosophy and psych majors that are SWO's. It seems that community is the catch all for any and every degree. I would not be surprized if there are underwater basket weavers too!! LOL!!

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
in all reality, your degree DOES NOT matter when it comes to your designator. granted in the nuc power fields, you will see a higher proportion of tech majors. But... it really doesn't matter. In one of my classes we had 2 Ensigns with English degrees and 3 engineers.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Truthfully, it doesn't matter too much in the civilian world either. I know psych majors who went on to be management consultants, chemical engineers who ended up being financial analyst, and education majors who went into sales. The idea is, if you have a college degree and can show people that you can learn, it doesn't really matter what your degree is. There's obvious exceptions, but the bulk of the jobs in corporate america can be had by any degree.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Question guys... My degree is going to be in Fire Protection Engineering... how would that play if I was a SWO? I am half hesitant doing NFO due to the lack of a civilian counterpart, I was thinking experience with damage control would lend to a great career in sea-safety engineering.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
again, it would play no part. in the military they teach you from step one as if you had never seen a ship before, or knew what OOD stood for.

Status
Not open for further replies.