• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

jet NFO slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTTyoung

In the NFO pipeline....exactly how are the selections made? Is it just like pilot selection? are there plenty of jet (prowler) slots? If so, how hard is it to get jet Fo slots?..just curious

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Selections for NFO's in Pensacola:
1st: Primary (VT-4/10) Jets or Maritime{P-3/E-6}
2nd: Intermediate: (VT-4/10) E-2s or Jets
3rd: Advanced: (VT-86) Strike {EA-6B/S-3B} or Strike-Fighter {F-14/18}
4th: Winging: Platform
Strike: EA-6B's or S-3B's
Strike-Fighter: F-14's or F-18's

3rd & 4th selections will change due to the decommissioning of the S-3B and the F-14.

As long as you get to VT-86....you'll fly a jet....other than that, it was about a 30-40/70-60 split between Strike-Fighter and Strike. The best way to get what you want is to study and apply yourself. Good luck!

ea6bflyr

VTTyoung said:
In the NFO pipeline....exactly how are the selections made? Is it just like pilot selection? are there plenty of jet (prowler) slots? If so, how hard is it to get jet Fo slots?..just curious

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I'm in -86 right now, and the Navy is just handing out Strike Fighter slots to anyone with the NSS. The Core syllabus is tough, but you can make it if you decide you're not going to have a life for the first 2 months. Basically Boeing has produced F/A-18Fs faster than we can fill them, so the Navy is dying to get Super Hornet WSOs...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do they still have the Ball of rubberbands at the Strike-Fighter sim buidling? Those RIO wannabees sure spent a lot of time in that sim.....
ea6bflyr

TurnandBurn55

None
ea6bflyr-- You're an old man now... no more RIOs, just Rhino WSOs. LOL, just messing with you man. Yeah, it's still there... I just realized I've spent more hours in that stupid building than I have in the T-6, T-1, and T-39 combined... ugh.

Cindy- the gouge number is 45, but that's not set in stone except for the Chair Force. Like I said, the Navy is begging for Super Hornet guys, and plus there's so many folks (like yours truly) who the anthro guys won't let sit in the Prowler. So right now the issue is more "will you survive the Strike/Fighter syllabus?"

Remember, you can't get winged if your NSS is below 35, and due to the competitiveness of the S/F pool, your NSS will drop about 4 points after selection. So really, the rock-bottom MINIMUM should be a 40, but you should strive to get at LEAST a 45. Won't be easy, though, especially when you realize that the radar in the plane looks nothing like the radar in the sims.

Quick, what's the boldface for brain fire in flight? LOL!

cindy

Thanks '55, do appreciate it.

What is current high end NSS competition look like?

Sorry for so many questions! And realize things change but quick!

CD

TurnandBurn55

None
Not sure what the upper end is... most folks are in a fight to the finish in core syllabus and don't really take off until after selection... so it's kind of a dogfight.

Nothing like VT-10/4, where folks are graduating with 67 NSSs

Status
Not open for further replies.