• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Attrite?

Mark Guadagnini

Attack pilot - drop 'em anywhere!
pilot
Contributor
Professional Aviation stories

In October, 2007, Lieutenant Junior GradeJoel Gow demonstrated exceptional airmanship and decision making under perilous flying conditions when, on an instructional familiarization flight with a new student naval aviator, his T-45C Goshawk ingested a turkey buzzard directly into the engine intake at approximately 1200 feet AGL following initial takeoff. Noting an immediate loss of RPM, thrust, and EGT over-temperature, he took the flight controls from the student and immediately brought the aircraft around 180 degrees for a modified precautionary approach to the runway from which he had just departed. Delaying re-configuration of the aircraft for landing until the last possible minute due to quickly failing engine power and deteriorating airspeed, he performed a textbook field arrested landing. Once in the gear, he quickly secured the engine and executed emergency shutdown procedures to prevent any further damage to the aircraft. His swift and decisive actions saved two lives and an airplane.

This is the kind of NATOPS knowledge, quick thinking, and decisive action that Naval Aviators are famous for!

at altitude, guad

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Great story. Is that an air medal citation?

The video is on here in another thread. Could somebody with mod powers move it into that thread?

Welcome aboard, Sir.

Rubiks06

pilot
I also know of one who attrited while I was in the HT's he was in my class. He had some problems in VT's. Got to the HT's downed his pre-check....then got it together....downed his first check. Passed and solo'd then downed a couple of flights before his BI check. That was pretty much it for him. On the other foot there was another STUD there that seemed like he was failing a flight a week. He was always in the penalty suit and making the walk, im not sure if he ever got his wings though. It seems like someone failing that much should have been attrited. Not everyone can figure this job out sometimes.

Mark Guadagnini

Attack pilot - drop 'em anywhere!
pilot
Contributor
Great story. Is that an air medal citation?

The video is on here in another thread. Could somebody with mod powers move it into that thread?

Welcome aboard, Mark.
That was indeed the air medal writeup. Not that many people see the citations or hear about great things being done by Naval aviators, especially in the training command. That's why I thought I'd share it in a warriors forum.

at altitude, guad

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
rgr HD

I've heard rumors CNATRA arced around Airwarriors, so it's true; heard some more senior gentlemen lurked also ...

S/F

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
fixed it for you, figure CNATRA might rate it.

I've heard rumors CNATRA arced around Airwarriors, so it's true; heard some more senior gentlemen lurked also ...

S/F

Go back and check. I already fixed it myself. (thanks anyway, though)

Obviously, I had no idea. No offense intended. sir.