• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN January 2016 CEC Board

toothpaste

I'm wondering if there are other folks here waiting on results from the 25 January 2016 CEC Pro Rec board. This is my second shot at the CEC Collegiate program and I've been in the application process for more than a year now. My graduation date is August 2016 for a M.S. in Environmental Engineering.

Any ideas what quotas are like? Please feel free to post your stats!

bowtieman81

I just barely got my application in to NRD in time for the January board. I am also now waiting for the results. I don't really know much about quotas at all.

toothpaste

I just barely got my application in to NRD in time for the January board. I am also now waiting for the results. I don't really know much about quotas at all.

Thanks for your reply, Doc. It looks like this board was postponed by a week. When did you get your BS--before or after you became a Corpsman?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Results are out! Give your recruiter up to 48 hours to receive and deliver the results. Congrats to those who have been PROREC'd!

terry

I'll be the first to speak up.

I just got the call. It was a good one. I'm not graduating until 2017 so there's no chance of us being in the same class, but good luck to you all.

Now I get to join the guys over in finsel purgatory.

toothpaste

Congrats, Terry. Thanks for the news.

I got the phone call this morning--Pro Rec'd finally! So I'll see you in purg!

I heard they took around 25 applicants this round. I'm not sure if that number includes both Collegiates and DA's. Perhaps they will share on the next newsletter.

For those who didn't get selected this round, I was in your shoes for six months before today. Revamp your package, try to get as much firepower as you can, and show the next board how motivated you are and that you really want to become a CEC officer.

Here are my general stats:
Non-prior for Collegiate Masters
M.S. Environmental Eng '16 (GPA 3.60/4)
B.S. Biological Systems Eng '14 (ABET Accr, GPA 3.38/4)
EIT
ASTB 61/6/6/6
~10 months full-time eng experience
LOR's 6 employers including 2 USPHS
Boards: 27JUL16, 25JAN16 (Pro Rec)

bowtieman81

I also found out that I got a yes for pro-rec. I am glad and excited. I was worried that my package wasn't as strong as I would have liked and with my age I don't have too many chances to apply.

Congrats to you both Terry and toothpaste.

Pete

toothpaste

Pete,

As a Corpsman, I have no doubts that you are going to be the cool kid on the block and certainly a huge role model to us folks new to the Navy.

I wasn't so confident with my package as my numbers don't exactly stand out and I had my own thoughts about the board having a preference for undergrads. It just turns out that most people who apply are undergrads within 1-2 years of graduation. I'm super excited and privileged to be following my dream.

So what happens on your end? Are you in finsel purgatory to fulfill other conditions (security clearance) as well before OCS, or will you be going sooner than other Direct Accessions?

Jeff

bowtieman81

Jeff,

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know if being prior enlisted will make any difference at OCS; I have heard that sometimes it does and sometimes nobody cares.

I don't really know any stats about who/how many apply to CEC each quarter. I assume most are undergrads like you mentioned, but I really don't know the percent. Maybe some day I will get to sit on the boards and learn more, who knows.

As for me I am waiting for medical to clear me and maybe security. I already have a security clearance so I don't foresee any issues with that part. I also assume medical won't take long since I am currently active. I am just playing the waiting game for now.

toothpaste

Pete,

You made it this far; you're going to make it through OCS. Besides OCS, engineers with years of hands-on practical skills are hard to come by these days, even if it may not be in engineering tech directly. Plus, your going to have street cred as an ENS with rack of ribbons. My recruiter is an LT with >10 years enlisted; I have a lot of respect for the guy. The first enlisted sailor I actually met was a Corpsman. They are great people and I am under the impression that they are great at staying poised and calm through hustling and stressful environments. Keep us updated on your OCS date. My graduation date is August so if things go right then I think they'll have me for OCS around Sept/Oct.

Jeff

Shmalmquist

Congrats, Terry. Thanks for the news.

I got the phone call this morning--Pro Rec'd finally! So I'll see you in purg!

I heard they took around 25 applicants this round. I'm not sure if that number includes both Collegiates and DA's. Perhaps they will share on the next newsletter.

For those who didn't get selected this round, I was in your shoes for six months before today. Revamp your package, try to get as much firepower as you can, and show the next board how motivated you are and that you really want to become a CEC officer.

Here are my general stats:
Non-prior for Collegiate Masters
M.S. Environmental Eng '16 (GPA 3.60/4)
B.S. Biological Systems Eng '14 (ABET Accr, GPA 3.38/4)
EIT
ASTB 61/6/6/6
~10 months full-time eng experience
LOR's 6 employers including 2 USPHS
Boards: 27JUL16, 25JAN16 (Pro Rec)

I know the first "Collegiate Corner" newsletter I got had the names of all of us that were selected in that board. You'll be able to see who and how many others were chosen along with you.

Also congratulations to all of you!

toothpaste

Hey folks--just checking back in after a few months. Hope all is well. Any non-priors receive their FINSEL from this board yet? I can see that our age critical and prior guys and gals have OCS dates by now.

toothpaste

Got my FINSEL on 15 MAY and swore in on the 19th.

Turns out I was also granted the security clearance on 11 May but this may have just been a coincidence.