• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAC Molesworth

Southern Ag

pilot
I Just got orders to JAC Molesworth, and haven't been able to find any gouge about the place/job. Any info would be appreciated ... QOL, housing, driving gouge, info on Huntingdon/Cambridge ... thanks

HuggyU2

None
I was stationed at RAF Alconbury for 3 years. I lived off base in St Ives. Too far for you, but there are a bunch of great villages to live in. It was the best assignment of my career.
Alconbury is scaled back, but I hear the commissary and BX are still open.
There used to be an American exchange pilot at Wittering, so find him and you might be able to still stay involved in a "ready room" environment on occasion.
You are an easy drive to London. Cambridge is terrific. QOL for me was outstanding. My wife worked "on the economy", and qualified for British health care. First kid was born via the UK system,... couldn't ask for better.
Very historic WWII airfields nearby. Duxford less than an hour. Shuttleworth Collection nearby.
G.A. flying is pricier than here, but find a good trike instructor and give it a go.
Don't know much about your job, but you should have the time of your life.

D

Deleted member 24525

IT is the Joint Analysis Center...you want find in any info on it because it is super secret squirrel stuff... They are basically the intel center for Europe. If memory serves, you are about 40 miinutes-1 hour from London by train.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
I did the exchange at Witt/Cott, loved my time there, as I recall there is no housing at Molesworth, find a cool place and live out in one of the villages, make sure it has a pub or two. I lived in Stamford, AWESOME place, but too far north for you probably. You can take the train from Huntington to London Stansted in less than an hour and catch a flight into Europe for dirt cheap. Max out your OHA and have a great time. There are still two US Harrier dudes in Stamford, PM me if you want contact details.

dephyler

Contributor
I'm super jealous. I've been trying to find some people that can hook me up with a 365 day ADSW (I'm reserves) out there.

I knew a guy that was there for a couple of years and loved it. He lived in a nice apartment in some town near by. I've dug up some links with my own research over time. Here are a few:

http://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/units/molesworth/index.asp
http://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/units/alconbury/newcomersinformation.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Molesworth#Joint_Analysis_Center

The second link has some great gouge, plus the links on the right side of the page will give you some more great info on driving, housing, etc. Good luck, and have fun. If you hear anything about a reserve adsw, let me know ;)

dephyler

Contributor
I'm pretty jealous. I've been looking to do a year long active duty assignment there. In my research, I've stumbled across a few sites that should help. Wikipedia page for some basic info on the base, and then some gouge on living/reloc there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Molesworth

http://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/units/alconbury/newcomersinformation.asp

The right side of the 501st page has a whole bunch of gouge on relocating, pets, how to get around, etc. Have fun! And if you hear anything on reserve billets for a year, let me know ;)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Lakenheath and Mildenhall are also within 15-20 minutes with a more significant support infrastructure.

I'll also vouch that living in East Anglia is, although very expensive, also fantastic.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I have little to add to the housing situation, but if you get to Cambridge, be sure to check out Jamie's Italian. Possibly the best Italian food I've ever had out of actual Italy or New York.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
JAC Molesworth is an old B-17 base of legend and it is decorated with 8th AF artifacts from the surrounding B-17 airfields, Grafton, Bassinbourn...utterly surreal.
Throw in great beer, and possibly the best Indian chow on the planet in Cambridge...
What a tour...

Clux4

Banned
I was stationed at RAF Alconbury for 3 years. I lived off base in St Ives. Too far for you, but there are a bunch of great villages to live in. It was the best assignment of my career.
Alconbury is scaled back, but I hear the commissary and BX are still open.
There used to be an American exchange pilot at Wittering, so find him and you might be able to still stay involved in a "ready room" environment on occasion.
You are an easy drive to London. Cambridge is terrific. QOL for me was outstanding. My wife worked "on the economy", and qualified for British health care. First kid was born via the UK system,... couldn't ask for better.
Very historic WWII airfields nearby. Duxford less than an hour. Shuttleworth Collection nearby.
G.A. flying is pricier than here, but find a good trike instructor and give it a go.
Don't know much about your job, but you should have the time of your life.
Not trying to take away from this thread because there is much to be said about historic Great Britain.
It strikes me odd that you have positive comments British health care system.
I talked to the Marine Attache in London on my last trip and he had similar comments on the QOL.

@Hozer
I am planning a trip to the Coventry area in January, I will definitely keep that in mind.