• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IW/IW vs INTEL

CptJBUSA

As always…it depends. Most do one at least one sea tour…depending upon if you screen for additional duties later…you could do 2-3 additional tours.

Absolute Best case: JO tour (IW DIVO tour); LCDR tour (CRC billet); CDR tour (Fleet Cryptologist); CAPT tour (DIWC). A Direct Support tour could also be sprinkled in…but that would be a lot of sea time, as opposed to meeting other community requirements ashore.

You could also end up doing multiple operational tours where you don't belong to the sea-going unit but instead join them when they are at sea. In the course of a single tour you could end up being on a number of different ships.

There are actually more IW officers than sea-going billets available…and the billets at the O-4 and above level are screened billets…i.e. you have to qualify/be selected for them.

PM me if you have more questions.
Sir I am in the process going from the Army to the Navy as Cryptology officer. A little back ground:
B.S. Biological Science, University of Missouri
M.A. Information Technology, GPA 3.6
Fluent in Chinese, DLI training in 2012
Currently an O-3 in the army
4 LOR, 1st CDR O-5 Crypto officer(retired), 2nd E-5 crypto, 3rd my police chief, 4th Congressman

I am currently going though a recruiter to make the transfer. However, I was also told that I should just do a IST (inter-service transfer). Please advise.

Thanks

Respectfully
JB

CptJBUSA

Sir I am in the process going from the Army to the Navy as Cryptology officer. A little back ground:
4 LOR, 1st CDR O-5 Crypto officer(retired), 2nd E-5 crypto, 3rd my police chief, 4th Congressman
I am currently working as a police officer in STL area, had many investigation trainings, which I think it will helps me on information collections, and also helped me developed a great inter-personal skill.

I am currently going though a recruiter to make the transfer. However, I was also told that I should just do a IST (inter-service transfer). Please advise.

Thanks

Respectfully
JB

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None

Thanks

Respectfully
JB
JB,

Honestly…no idea on the Green to Blue process. I'm familiar with how the intra-Navy process works…but not in between services.

Your background (to my eyes, at least) looks competitive.

Best bet…surf over to www.informationwarriors.net and look for the IW OCM (officer community manager…he posts on there) and get his take on your best best to cross over.

Good luck!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You do realize that a good percentage of strike aircraft in any given airwing are single seat, right? I guess that makes them the shortbus since they have no 5th or 11th spare seat for the "warfighter" to sit in

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thanks

Respectfully
JB

You need to apply through an IST. The only involvement you should have with a recruiter is taking the ASTB exam if needed.