• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It would be great to have a Detailer's input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

solenita72

SWO Wife
I wish there was a SWO detailer that would become a member to give advice!! My DH just found out that even though our duty pref. is Mayport, they are not PCS'ing any 1st or 2nd tour officers our of thier current duty station. The detailer cited money issues for the reasons, I guess they are saving money now all around because they don't have to PCS them for school in Newport, RI since that has been done away with and now they are going to keep them in the same local area for the first 5 years or so....We really want to get out of Norfolk!!! :icon_rage

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You said that "your DH" just found out this information. Have YOU talked to the detailer yourself and heard this from him. I hate to ask what's probably a stupid question, but are you familiar with the the Division Officer information on the PERSNET website. If not, you may want to take a look at it. There is a wealth of info on there. I have a hard time believing that they are not PCS'ing anyone out of their current duty station. In Mayport alone, there are 4 "Quick Sea Fills" that are available for immediate assignment. Here's the link to the page http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers41/frame.htm

If you have not talked to your detailer about your concerns, do so as soon as possible.

solenita72

SWO Wife
He's my DH's detailer. I didn't think that I would get involved in that. We are fairly new to this and the first time beling detailed out of OCS. My husband has contacted the detailer several times about this and is now worried that if the issue is pushed too much he'll end up in a crappy assignment! Any more advise in dealing with these guys would be great.

Also, he is in a different case. In the middle of his first tour he got a HUMS transfer to a shore duty station. He is not SWO qualified as of yet, so many of those billets for Quick Fill he is not able to request. His detailer said that with the "home porting" he would likely stay here for his first tour, second tour and his first shore duty station tour. The detailer said this was a "fleet consentrated area".

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are you referring to when you say "DH"?.....I think Department Head when I see that. What's a HUMS transfer?

solenita72

SWO Wife
Oh jeez....sorry I forget men and women have different computer lingo! :icon_boun DH means "Dear or Damn Husband" whichever is right for the moment!

Anyway, my DH got a HUMS transfer in his first tour because of a difficult pregnancy I had. He was 10 months into his first tour when he went to shore duty. So, he didn't get his SWO quals done before then. Hope that clears it up!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes it does. Well, since it was a result a difficult pregnancy (I hope all is ok now), it does not appear that he would qualify for a HUMS separation. Do you know if he will be going back to the same ship to finish out his first tour and get his SWO pin? Where are you guys located? Depending on where you are at may open up some options you may or may not have considered...which may make life a bit more bearable for you. Who is your husbands detailer by the way?

solenita72

SWO Wife
My DH said his detailer's name is Sego. No he is not going back to the LHD he was on. He is hoping to get a CRUDES ship. COMMO billet. We are in the "highly fleet concentrated" area of Hampton Roads :-( . I think we are out of options. The only thing that would make life more bearable is to PCS out of Hampton Roads. His goals are to go and get his pin and laterally transfer to the Information Proffessional Community 1605, so he can finally get some use out of his $20,000 degree.

solenita72

SWO Wife
hmmmm....let me think about this.......NO!! He never wanted to be a SWO, the recruiter told him to take whatever package came back first among intel, crypto and swo and then redisignate after being accepted to BDCP, well, to make a long story short, the recuiter PCS'ed out of there shortly after my DH was accepted, and the people in the recruiting station said no way to redesignating, as well as OCS people. SO, now with the new community of IP, he would actually be able to use his degree of Computer Engineering. He has looked into everything possible for redesignating, but the IP community requires people to be warfare qualified. They have let a few attrites in but it has been made pretty clear to my DH that with no qualification he would never advance pass Lt. CDR and would be booted out at that time.

We have some painful issues with the hospital here....we just want away from here to start fresh again.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can see why he wants the Commo gig now. First thing he needs to do is get back to a ship and get his pin. I'm sure this is pretty obvious to you guys. The sooner the better, unless there are extenuating circumstances preventing him from going back. The one thing that will get him killed is having the attitude with his chain of command of "I never wanted to be a SWO, but I'm here now, so what do you want me to do?"

The sooner he gets back in the game, the sooner he can laterally transfer. Yes, being a SWO can suck. However, there are a lot of fun and interesting things he can do. If he can get a CRUDES, by all means go for it. He can try to get on as a Boarding Officer with one of the VBSS (Visit Board Search and Seizure) teams. He can volunteer to be the GLO (Gunnery Liason Officer) for NSFS (Naval Surface Fire Support)...or even the Assistant GLO and work his way up to be the GLO. These are collateral duties that are a lot of work, but are FUN. I had a blast being the GLO on my ship and a Boarding Officer.

He needs to get in there and get every qual he can....obviously SWO, but also an EOOW qual as well. If he gets a billet in Engineering, there is no reason why he shouldn't get that qual. He may have to stand watch on the bridge, and then head down to the plant for a U/I (under instruction) watch as EOOW. Will that suck? Oh yea, no doubt about it.

Notice I haven't even mentioned anything about his Divo job. It's assumed that the divo part of his job is getting done. Doing well in his divo job will certainly be in his favor. Lord knows there are too many divos that just do the bare minimum. I always liked to be one step ahead of my DH (department head). And to do that, I had to get in the head of my XO. Most of the time, stuff the DH puts out comes directly from the XO.

My point to all this. There is a lot of stuff he can do that will give him a leg up when it comes time for a lateral transfer. One thing I do not recommend however, is kissing up to his chain of command.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
solenita72 said:
NO!! He never wanted to be a SWO, the recruiter told him to take whatever package came back first among intel, crypto and swo and then redisignate after being accepted.

That's jacked up. From what I understand your package goes to your first choice, and if you're accepted, it stops. If not, then it goes to the second choice. It doesn't go to all 3 communities simultaneously. It doesn't surprise me that he got SWO, because from what I can tell, recruiters try to push the large URL communities.

By the way, I was your husband's liason when I was a candi-o with 07-03. Small world, huh?

solenita72

SWO Wife
That is the one good thing about my DH, no one would ever know how unhappy he is at work by his attitude. He is a high achiever, and he isn't going to do a job unless he does it right. He also is not not the type to kiss up to anyone. I act more ticked off about the entire situation than he does. His guys that were in his division were very unhappy when he left the ship, so I think that shows alot about his supervisory skills.

I know that part of the problem with his last ship was that he was the first to report after they stopped sending new ensigns to SWOS. I think to some extent they didn't know how to begin his training. He become seriously discouraged with that. He reported in Feb. and they ended up procrastinating on his training until the ROTC and NA grads reported in May. Then there were issues with the SWOS disks they were suppose to get, they never worked right. The training officer was a non-swo attainee that got his letter asking him to leave....By July/Aug I was pregnant and we knew that it was inevitable that he would be off the ship. So, he met with alot of adversity on his first ship. He got alot of quals very quickly because he was anxious to get them done, but the actual disc learning was none...right now he is working ont he discs so he doesn't have to do that once he is on a new ship. He is hoping for a smaller ship so that these training issues will not happen again. Hopefully there will be more support for the spouses. All of the spouses on the last ship were not interested in the JO spouses (there were only a handful of us).

He is attending a few schools and getting some IP quals done now that will look good in his transfer package. This will be the make it or break it time....if he doesn't get to IP, he will leave the navy. He just feels that there is just no point in wasting his education.

Both of us would love to get a transfer out of Norfolk area to get a complete fresh start.

Thisguy:
I asked him if he remembered you and he doesn't, which doesn't surprize me, he was basically a zombie during that time! I thought you were one of the guys that we met at the bar before checking in, but I don't recognise your picture. He slept about a week and a half after getting home, including the almost 16 hour drive home! It is a small world, there was only a few people that ended up here after OCS and none of them kept in touch, there was one other SWO and he was immediately deployed, and a handful of intel people. I don't think alot of them are even on here really....I think the web site took aff after yours and my DH's class commissioned, at least on the spouse side it did! Good luck in taking the FE and in your transfer. It is important to be happy in your career and if that is what you want pursue it with everything you've got!

We had a ton of pictures up of his class, but they didn't make it through the transfer to new forum boards.

His packages were sent in concurrently (as far as we know) and SWO came back first, he was advised to take it (I guess now to improve the recruiting quota) and then switch at a later date. Which never happened. So is life in the NAVY.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
solenita,

I was in the class right ahead of your husband, so while your hubby was checking in, I was probably hating life as a 2nd week candidate. Your husband would've known me as Candidate Ensign Shih, I basically rounded up guys to help grade the 9th week RLP, and 10th week PI. It was towards the end, but then again, I bet your husband would sooner forget everything about OCS ;)

solenita72

SWO Wife
That is right, I don't know why I was thinking that backwards. I thought "liason" and ran with that, there were some guys at a bar that we met right before him checking in and they said they were going to be liasons, but I am assuming they ment for the indoc period. I ignored your class number in my thought process.....sorry blond.... ;)
I think that OCS is not something easily forgotten, but details get fuzzier with time, which is probably good. I'm sure when he was checking in your were just happy to get out of your poopies and having black Saturday be over with! The end of his OCS period was weird because he got to leave for xmas midway being cand-o's, which he took all of the leave he could and I went back with him for the final week, so things were really crazy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.