• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IT band?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
It isn't really PRT related since I'm a civilian, but I thought someone here might have a suggestion. I am getting back into running again but having a heck of a time with a very tight IT band. It's a problem I've had before, and part of the reason I gave up running.

The only ways I've found to stretch it are to stand with my legs crossed and arch to the side, making a bow shape with my body, or so sit on the ground with one leg straight out in front of me and the other crossed over so that I am hugging the knee. Neither really feel like they are giving it a good stretch, but it's the best I've come up with.

I generally walk for 3-5 minutes, then stretch it, then walk or run normally, stopping to stretch it again if I start to feel knee discomfort. Sometimes I can get a few miles out of it with no problems and other times I can barely get in 10 minutes of running (or even walking) before I am in a good amount of pain.

Any suggestions?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I know you were trying to help me out. (And one of the links had something I haven't tried, so thank you for that.)

I hope you didn't think I was being snarky with you. I was mocking myself, not you.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know you were trying to help me out. (And one of the links had something I haven't tried, so thank you for that.)

I hope you didn't think I was being snarky with you. I was mocking myself, not you.

No snarkiness taken. All is well.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Had this in college. No sh*tter, I am 90% certain that my then massive man-purse of a wallet was to blame. Take it out of the back pocket and into the front. Did the physical therapy / stretching, but the problem seemed to go away for good when wallet placement was changed.

Pags

N/A
pilot
ITB...or "I tried buds"...are you sure you have the proper shoes for your feet? What I've always done for my ITB is:
Say you want to stretch the left ITB.
1. Right foot over left.
2. bend down like you're touching your toes (knees straight)
3. Now move your upper body to the right (while keeping it bent at waist). You should feel the tension just melt away.
4. reverse for the other side.

There are some toys out there for this issue, but what's always worked for me is new shoes, stretching and more stretching.

thull

yes, IT band can be a b*&ch to get over, but I had a case for a while and finally figured it out. here's what ya do:

warm up first. something easy but not running. stationary bike if you can. 10 minutes easy.

stretch your IT band (google ITBS stretching) as well as your entire body (since everything's inter-wired-connected in the body, cover all your bases and do a general stretch as well)..THE KEY is to stretch for a while, VERY GENTLY, WHILE YOU'RE MUSCLES ARE WARM.

don't over stretch and never stretch it cold.

the longer you stretch, the more time it buys you to run.

go out easy and wear clothes that keep your legs warm.

stretch for 10-15 mins after the run as well. start out 1-2 miles. if it doesn't hurt, go 3, etc. AVOID squats during recovery process.

its all in long, easy warmups and long, easy stretching WHEN warmed up. When I stuck with this routine, I was able to increase my running distances more and more without feeling anything until it finally disappeared. in my experience that's the only way to get rid of it. best of luck...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The foam roller is good. If it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right. The first couple of times I used it, it was pure agony. Stretch it well and see if you can find any sore or tender spots along it. You'll usually find them down near your knee. Have a friend of the opposite sex give you a good deep tissue massage where it hurts---scar tissue tends to form on the band. Massaging will help break it up.

And keep stretching it even after the symptoms go away...or it WILL come back.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The roller is key. Also:

1: Exercise your surrounding leg muscles (calves, quads, etc.) ... strengthening those muscle groups will take pressure off of your IT-Band. Theres a machine at the gym that works outer-thighs.. sure you look kinda gay using it, but it really helps to give you that extra endurance.

2: lay on your back, and try to pull your right knee towards your left shoulder with two hands, and vica-versa. Great stretch, stretches your it-band pretty good.

3. Stretch those Hammies!

phrogpilot73

I have had it as well, and all good advice thusfar. Don't forget anti-inflammatories too. I warmup, stretch, then run and stretch afterwards. I also take one Aleve (naproxen), which helps as well.