• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is there gouge on the drug waiver issue?

Triumph57

Update: The USMC still says "no", but the Navy is willing to forgive. My USMC OSO said there weren't any hard feelings and he would help with the change as much of the USMC and USN application process is the same. Fly Navy!

getmeinaf18

I hope everything works out for you with the Navy.

I also started out working with a USMC OSO, but basically got turned away after MEPS. I don't think they wanted to move forward with me because of my usage and arrest.

But, now I am working with the Navy and things seem more promising, even though my first app didnt get selected last summer. I am about to re-apply this month.

I just cant figure out if I should try and apply for a waiver and send it in with my package. No one seems to know, not even my recruiter.

Triumph57

"I just cant figure out if I should try and apply for a waiver and send it in with my package. No one seems to know, not even my recruiter. "

I am confused. What options do you have besides applying for the waiver?

Triumph57

Is applying for a waiver an option? That's what I'm trying to figure out. And, if so, how do I go about applying for it?

I would think it would be an option. Ask your OSO. Basically there is the MEPS medical portion of the waiver where they have to certify that smoking didn't irreparably damage your lungs, rendering you unable to run or something like that. Then there is the much trickier moral aspect of the waiver where you have to write a short essay saying how many times you used, when, if you were arrested. Then you need to go on to say that you know drugs are unhealthy, illegal and immoral, that you would never use them again and that you are very sorry. Then explain that, even though you've made mistakes, you would still make a good leader and role model and should be considered for a commission. Then just hope. That is pretty much how the process has been for me.

getmeinaf18

Basically, the reason I am trying to figure this out is because I went through MEPS with a Marine Corps OSO, but I got turned away. Then, I started talking to a Navy officer recruiter, who got my paper work from the OSO and told me I was good to go with the Navy, I just needed to get selected. I submitted my package last April and did not get selected.

Now I am about to re-submit this month, but I read somewhere that "typically, waivers are submitted with your package." I wanted to find out if this was true, because I would hate to not get selected again simply because there was no waiver with my package when it should have been.

But, my recruiter doesn't seem to know whether or not I need to apply for a waiver 1st, and I have been waiting for him to find out. He did tell me that nuclear program applicants do need waivers 1st. But I'm applying for pilot.

I know that I will need a waiver for my previous usage and arrest, and I know that I need to communicate to them how I feel about drugs now, but I just can't figure out who decides on the waiver. Is it the medical people, or the selection board, or someone else? Does anyone know? I can't figure out why it's such a mystery.

Triumph57

I have some gouge about drugs... just say no! Then you wouldn't need a waiver. :)

The funny thing is I was so opposed to drugs in high school, when a whole bunch of people were doing them. I had friends who were hardcore straightedge and would beat up kids for doing drugs. I considered myself so morally superior. Now I know how that judgment feels. Ah poetic justice, you cut me deep. :(

Will_T

Will_T
Just because everyone jumps off of a building, doesn't mean you should. If there's one thing Ive learned in school, from an elder, retired navy teacher of mine, it is that being your own person, and following your own moral compass is the way to live. He is very bright, and he hits the nail on the head.
Triumph, owning up to what youve done wont hurt you, and in fact may make you look more mature, in that you can own up to your mistakes and learn from them. Best of luck to you.
Will.

Triumph57

Thanks for the advice Will T. I did own up to what I did. Thus my rejection from the USMC and my application for a waiver for the Navy. I fully agree with you about your own moral compass, but lets just say that some of my role models were not as wise as yours and it wasn't just peer pressure. Still, there are no excuses and I am responsible for my own actions.

Will_T

Will_T
Good call triumph, and believe me, i know its easy to give in, if i wasn't such a stubborn @ss, i wouldn't be one of the few in my school who hasn't done drugs.
And best of luck to you, i hope you find out quick, because sometimes I hate waiting (example, i can find out any time between now and april if i get the nrotc scholarship), but it seems like a lot of hurry up and wait sometimes.
Not that i don't love it though, cant wait for nrotc orientation.

A

AlexSmart

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass, but have we come to a conclusion on whether or not a waiver is required before submitting your package for Pilot/NFO? I have disclosed my prior usage to my recruiter and at MEPS, but so far the issue of a waiver has never come up in any discussion. I am trying to be as proactive as possible, especially in regards to convincing the Navy that my college experimentation was just that and nothing more. I am dropping off two of my letters of recommendation to my recruiter tomorrow, and I think it is obvious this subject needs to be brought up and dealt with ASAP. Any advice on questions for him?

GreenLantern330

Does anyone have a clue if waivers are given for ADD medications? Technically, it is a controlled substance, however it's legit for me (I've been giving prescriptions to get it by my doctor) I've been told/read online some places that if you are being treated for ADD or ADHD, you either need a waiver or need to get off the meds for one year and then get a diagnosis by MEPS. When I asked a recruiter I saw on my university campus about this, he said he knew of no reason why it would be a problem as long as I had a prescription and that the Navy pretty much takes anyone. Any thoughts?

Triumph57

AlexSmart: After having admitted to drug use on my application and being pro rec'd I still don't know. I didn't have to do anything extra for it other than mention it on my application, security clearance paperwork and MEPs medical exam (added in as an attachment, I had lied while at MEPs and they don't let you do it over).

GreenLantern: I don't know. They ask you about it on your screening questionnaire.