• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the navy currently using microsoft flight sim

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAG 13

About a year ago I read the Navy was using microsoft flight sim to supplement flight training, is this program still in effect?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, the Navy is still using MS Flight Sim 98 for training purposes.

To bring other people up to speed on what he is referring to. Back about, what 2 years ago, or there abouts, a student went through the program and in his spare time put together a workable T34 in MSFS98, and practiced his events on the MSFS98. He did well in the program, and the Navy went the extra step, and got with MS and put together a better sim package, improved the VFR checkpoints, and the realism of the T34, T44 and T45. The student also got a bonus from the military, ~$7500 I believe for developing the initial idea. At the beginning of Primary training in Corpus you are given a CD with all the necessary files on it to use on your home computer.

I don't know to what extent it is used up at NAS Whiting, when I left there a year ago, it wasn't there yet. But down at NAS Corpus, they have a room with 6 "sim" stations to practice flying on. Four for the T34, and two for the T44/C12. Basically it is a seat, a big monitor, throttle, stick and rudder pedals, landing gear handle, and with a little keypad to the side to change views and other settings. The T44/C12 have a yoke instead of the stick.

There are a number of scenarios already setup on the menu, the pattern, different course rules entry points, some basic instrument drills, and some radio instrument procedures.

There isn't a requirement to use them, and the building is open through most of the evening and on weekends, so people can come in and practice, the only requirement is that you log your time using it, so they can see if it is being used, and to statistically track grades to see if it really does make a difference.

Outside of playing with it a couple of times, I did not use it, I personally found the difference between it and flying the plane to be too great. But I guess its main feature is that it would be great for helping to review procedures and an upcoming event.

MAG 13

Hello John and thanks for the reply, I am interested in the T-34 and T-44 airplane files, I have tried the links on the FAQ board, the one you uploaded, www.airwarriors.com/ftp/t34_all.zip is not a complete aircraft file, and http://navaltx.navy.mil/Ctw-4/FlightSim98.htm have taken all of the fs98 files off the page. I would greatly appreciate it if you could upload the two aircraft files to this site or email them to me. Do you know if it is possible to purchase a copy of the cd.
Thanks again

Derrill Thompson

All,

The CD in question is also handed out at the ACES program. I haven't gotten aorund to using it yet, but have purchased FS98 and a joystick to use with it. I plan to use it for general aviation familiarization, having never flown before. I also bought a book called :Instument Flight Techniques for FS 98". So far, a great introduction to general instrument flight info, ie. VOR, TACAN, etc. Pretty helpful, and to purchase, very inexpensive.

From shop.microsoft.com:

FS 98 - $16.99
Instrument Flight book... - $12.99

Joystick was more like $40.00, but there are cheaper ones.

Derrill

MAG 13

Books That You Can Read FREE On Line
Instrument Flying Handbook
http://avstop.com/AC/Instument/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.