• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the M-1 Abrams outclassed now?

Sonog

pilot
If you are looking for a first rate podcast on WWI, try Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I have listed it before but thought some might have missed it. Extremely well researched.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-by-dan-carlin.jpg

That dude is incredible. Very intelligent, and offers great analysis and insight into history. He somehow incorporates a lot of psychology and human condition into his history without dropping too much of the historical details.

Currently working on his King of Kings series.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
It's better to imagine this tank on railroad cradle instead of this four-tracks. The resistance to rotation in form of steering torque was 12 times of the common two-tracks system.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Earlier this week I was down at Fort Lee VA and got a peek at the long-hidden Nazi Elephant tank killer. The thing is a monster! I was told there are only two in the world - the other being in Russia. The US version is heading UK to spend three years at the Bovington Tank Museum.

jmcquate

Contributor
Earlier this week I was down at Fort Lee VA and got a peek at the long-hidden Nazi Elephant tank killer. The thing is a monster! I was told there are only two in the world - the other being in Russia. The US version is heading UK to spend three years at the Bovington Tank Museum.
Has everything from Aberdeen been moved down there?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There are a few things in Aberdeen, but most of it is down at Lee or being spread across the Army museum system.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's better to imagine this tank on railroad cradle instead of this four-tracks. The resistance to rotation in form of steering torque was 12 times of the common two-tracks system.

Resistance to rotation... so the thing didn't like to turn? (Pardon my liberal arts background)...

Max the Mad Russian

Resistance to rotation... so the thing didn't like to turn? (Pardon my liberal arts background)...
My electro-eng major isn't much better here, but yes, this tank wouldn't like to turn, or more precise, the inboard pair of tracks was very reluctant and vulnerable to sharp turns

Max the Mad Russian

Eventually, as Soviet tank leaders preferred maneuvering warfare with no big respect to "trench enforcers", this restricted mobility of that four-tracks thing can be considered as the death warrant for it. Officially it was N.Khruschev, who ordered to terminate all new tank initiatives with total weight more than 37 tons, but actually this was Army top brass who killed it.

Max the Mad Russian

We played around with that too.

Indeed, while that heavy machine is going through swamps it's better to have as many tracks as possible. But for very heavy beasts there simly wasn't an engine powerful enough and simultaneously small enough - an everlasting problem for tanks as a battle systems. And resulting lack of mobility was the fair price, all in all. When I was in Fulda, on business trip relatively resently, I was amazed by the plain landscape and the only narrow river that is crossing the plains. Having the mobility problems over there is absolutely unacceptable - nowhere to hide