• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is Supply for weenies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmettoguy4519

The Informed,

Taking advice from people on the website and others who have been in the Navy, Supply appears to be the field for me. I will be graduating in May with a BA is History and a 3.1 GPA. I am not a dumba** however I don't consider myself a rocket scientist. What are my chances of getting into Supply with a decent ASTB score? Similiarly, what is supply like? Is it the "weenie" side of the Navy
glasses_125.gif
?

ps. do they really give you breakfeast in bed in the Air Force? what is their web address?haha
dog_125.gif

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well, define weenie. To give you an idea, the supply info sheet that a recruiter will show you says that a GPA of less than 2.3 is a disqualifying factor. Needless to say, Supply is not the Nuke program. Unfortunately though, supply seems to be heavy in the junior officer ranks, so it may not be as easy to get in as in the past. I would say talk to a recruiter ASAP before slots for the fiscal year are filled, and since you're not BDCP, you probably won't get a date right after your graduation. I haven't heard many people get turned down for supply.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
My father is a supply officer in the USNR he's served on FFGs, Aircraft Carriers, for Admirals, in the Pentagon. As a Supply officer you can end up in the same places as everyone else.

Ben

navsup

BDCP Supply
I may be biased beacause I was accepted for supply and it was my first choice and only choice. I chose to join the Navy specifically for supply.
But how can it be for weenies. It takes the same physical standards as the other fields, and I would say the same mental capacity. Think about it. You are in charge of millions of dollars, getting equipment to the ships(fuel, food, ammo, etc...) Im not saying supply is most important, but the Navy can't function without supply(I know it can't function without any one of the different communities).

I also was told by a cwo3 who did not know that I was going supply, that supply officers get many perks, second only to chaplains. He put it like this, "He said when you pull in to port you will see two cars on the dock. One for the captain, and the other with the driver will be for the supply officer." (exaggerating)

I know another supply officer who was assigned to a carrier in san diego. While his ship was doing a 6 month westpac cruise, he got to stay in san diego to help "ferry" V.I.P.'s to the ship. He stayed in a luxury hotel and drove a rental car around southern cal the whole time.

Supply is a good field and one of the best if you plan to use your navy experience to find a civilain job. Navy supply you are pretty much an executive from day one.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
For anyone going supply,

Something some of my OCS supply friends have told me, is that since the supply school is six months long, you won't know your orders until near the end of supply school. Your performance influences your orders, and it's probably in your best interest to get a smaller ship for your initial tour. The reason being, you'll have way more responsibility, as opposed to being on a carrier, you'll just be one of many Ensigns running around. On a carrier "the supply officer" is refering to an O-4 or 0-5 because there's so many people under him. Oh well, take it for what it's worth.

jreynard

Hey guys,
To those of you that are talking about supply. I just got back from talking to my recruiter this afternoon and he told me that the competitive GPA for Supply is now 3.4. They have a million of them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.