• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is MS Flight Sim worth it for T-6B?

Python

pilot
Contributor
View attachment 28197
Thread resurrection just to show what VR sims are capable of. I have the flite advantage t6b software. Flying with course rules and checklists open (or whatever else you want, it essentially mirrors your desktop) has been a blast.
What kind of computer do you need to run that clearly? And what kind of VR do you use?

RoarkJr.

What kind of computer do you need to run that clearly? And what kind of VR do you use?
At least 6 to 8 gigs of VRAM. I’m running a Ryzen 7 cpu and 2060 Super gpu. It’s oculus rift s (gives you the “pinning” function to see the screens). I’m working on optimizing the frames per second but it’s getting a little tedious.

People may have different criteria for “worth it” but I’d say it’s definitely been worth it to have this setup at home, while understanding it’s limitations.

Metromedic

Contributor
I'm in Primary now waiting to get scheduled for my first simulator (C2101).

I have been signing up for profsits (did my 5th today). My two roommates are still in ground school, but both have MS flight simulator with a T-6B glass cockpit, and they also have this new thing called TrackIR which is basically a virtual reality thing where when I turn my head, the cockpit view turns as well (I hope this makes sense...).

In MS flight sim, I would practice course rules around Navy Corpus and also practice EPs. Currently, I practice course rules by looking at drawings with a few friends and just going through the steps out loud. I practice EP's by reciting them throughout the day, and also by sitting in static trainers (a cockpit with switches but no computers connected). Whenever I am fortunate enough to get a profsit, I use this to practice both course rules and EP's, as well as comms and checklist procedures.

I'm just wondering how worth it this is. To get the TrackIR, MS flight sim, and the T-6B file, it'll cost me around $150.00. I have the money, but if everyone is going to tell me that its a complete waste/very little gain, then I won't bother.

Thanks
It depends on your learning style. Is it going to perfect you? No. However Flight Sim is a staple in the aviation community as its utilized in a majority of the simulators (RedBird, etc.). Its a great refresher tool, but its not perfect unless you have a full set up. I use mine more for fun than anything.

solo7

I built a home VR sim for fun and for primary; I'll try to remember to post a picture and how-to-build when I get back from leave. It absolutely does not hold a candle to an OFT but I can say it certainly helped me with visualizing PELs and Aero, as well as chair-flying things. I'm done with contacts now but I liked using it for course rules and running my mission profile the night before an event.

I put it together because I already had all the tools for building it (PC, VR, HOTAS) except the software. If I didn't, I don't think I'd go out of my way to build a computer + buy the equipment for the sake of home simulation.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
I'm currently building one. I wouldn't do Flight Simulator though. I would go with X-Plane as there is a T-6B you can download for like $99. Working cockpit except GPS I think. Good for chair flying/emergency procedures/etc. Gonna be utilizing VR with that as well as a HOTAS setup.

RoarkJr.

I'm currently building one. I wouldn't do Flight Simulator though. I would go with X-Plane as there is a T-6B you can download for like $99. Working cockpit except GPS I think. Good for chair flying/emergency procedures/etc. Gonna be utilizing VR with that as well as a HOTAS setup.
You can’t use Microsoft Flight Simulator because there is no T-6B for it yet. And I believe the only VR compatible headset is the reverb 2. I think you can use FSX with the P3d sim though.

Overall the setups are pretty simple. Need VR headset, computer (if not using a stand-alone headset), stick/throttle/rudder, flight simulator software, t6 software. The software you reference is from flite-advantage and it’s good.

I have a VR ready PC, Oculus Rift S, Saitek X-56 gear with rudders from Logitech, X-Plane 11, and the flite-advantage T-6B.

RoarkJr.

Anyone have a VR T-45C setup? I'm tracking IndiaFoxtEcho's for MSFS, VNAO's free one for DCS world (with multicrew), and Orbx and Flyaway for P3D and FSX. I'm more so interested in VR, specifically with Oculus Rift S and VR hand controller capability. I only have experience with Xplane 11 and FliteAdvantage, and sadly their T-45C won't be out for a while. Thanks!

Python

pilot
Contributor
Anyone have a VR T-45C setup? I'm tracking IndiaFoxtEcho's for MSFS, VNAO's free one for DCS world (with multicrew), and Orbx and Flyaway for P3D and FSX. I'm more so interested in VR, specifically with Oculus Rift S and VR hand controller capability. I only have experience with Xplane 11 and FliteAdvantage, and sadly their T-45C won't be out for a while. Thanks!

I can't help with what to use, but I can tell you that the VNAO one will be negative training. Stay away.

RoarkJr.

I can't help with what to use, but I can tell you that the VNAO one will be negative training. Stay away.
Really, why is that? I would have no idea either way but I’m curious. I have to say it definitely looks awesome, but I guess DCS in virtual reality looks awesome regardless.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Really, why is that? I would have no idea either way but I’m curious. I have to say it definitely looks awesome, but I guess DCS in virtual reality looks awesome regardless.

Performance is way off (not even close). Handling is way off. Systems are badly modeled, if modeled at all. Cockpit art does not reflect the real thing.

RoarkJr.

Performance is way off (not even close). Handling is way off. Systems are badly modeled, if modeled at all. Cockpit art does not reflect the real thing.
I’m thinking about dropping money to get Microsoft flight simulator and the T 45 with that. It looks great and I could fly it from Meridian.