• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is It Possible?

Hornet_Hopeful

Hey I haven't been on airwarriors for awhile, but I'm back and I have some questions. After transferring schools multiple times in search of what I wanted to major in, I decided to enlist to help pay for school, and in the hopes of comissioning. However I joined the Air Force....yeah I know flame away. My dream has been to fly Navy though since birth, my dad flew Navy, so it's been beaten into me. I joined Air Force due to the fact that it had more aircrew available jobs-I'm training to be an aerial gunner right now-in my tech school at Lackland. Finally to my question-can I put in my papers to comission into the Navy? Or am I $hit out of luck and have to try and fly for the Air Force:confused: Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer it will be appreciated.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes you can commission and fly for the Navy. Many others before you have done it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
bogey spotter is correct, it just might be a little more complicated than if you had enlisted in the Navy. Unfortunately, most of us can't point you toward any AFI's that would help get you started. Maybe one of resident AF guys can help.

Hornet_Hopeful

Well at least I know it's possible now, which is good. I'm going to wait until I get my first permanent duty station to bring up comissioning period as I'm just barely out of basic training at my first tech school. I chose aerial gunner because I figured an aircrew job would be better for my resume-I also assumed a pilot giving a recommendation would be better (saying I could get one). Either way as long as I know it can be done. Any other tips you guys have? I have some college (2.5 years), my ppl, almost done with my instrument, was top graduating airman in basic, any other stuff to work on for my resume? Thanks again for the help.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Well at least I know it's possible now, which is good. I'm going to wait until I get my first permanent duty station to bring up comissioning period as I'm just barely out of basic training at my first tech school. I chose aerial gunner because I figured an aircrew job would be better for my resume-I also assumed a pilot giving a recommendation would be better (saying I could get one). Either way as long as I know it can be done. Any other tips you guys have? I have some college (2.5 years), my ppl, almost done with my instrument, was top graduating airman in basic, any other stuff to work on for my resume? Thanks again for the help.

Good idea because I'm sure every branch is the same....They won't want you worrying about college or any other programs until your training is complete for your first duty station. Though it may be a little tougher to comission in the navy by enlisting Air Force, it was probably a smart move since you still have some college to get knocked out. This way, even if you don't get accepted for an ECP, you can continue working on college no matter what. You will probably have a lot more time to go to school in the Air Force (depending on your job). Being deployed on a ship is a killer.

k_smittay

any other stuff to work on for my resume?

Show up for work on time and do your job. The rest seems to fall into place form there. Don't beat yourself up over making your "resume" perfect. Just work hard, get noticed, don't get into trouble, and you will be able to go wherever you need to go.

phrogpilot73

bogey spotter is correct, it just might be a little more complicated than if you had enlisted in the Navy. Unfortunately, most of us can't point you toward any AFI's that would help get you started. Maybe one of resident AF guys can help.
He doesn't need to worry about AFI's or getting an AF guy to help him. Well, he does in that his COC must sign off on it. Contact a Navy officer recruiter, and he will help you with the paperwork. What you'll have to fill out is a DD-368 which is a Request for Conditional Release. Essentially, you COC endorses it saying that if you get accepted for this officer program, they will release you from your current contract. If you COC diapproves the conditional relase, they must justify why. There's a DOD instruction somewhere (I'm too lazy to look it up) that essentially says that if the move will enhance your career (i.e. going from enlisted to officer) than they SHALL be approved. Again, your recruiter will help you navigate all that.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Show up for work on time and do your job. The rest seems to fall into place form there. Don't beat yourself up over making your "resume" perfect. Just work hard, get noticed, don't get into trouble, and you will be able to go wherever you need to go.
"Sustained superior performance" comes to mind. Prioritizing qualifications over games, etc.