• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Is It necessary to have volunteer hours to be selected for OCS.

zchigh001

Just a little background on me. I am an active duty Marine (E5, so I do have some leadership experience), in pretty good shape and getting better every day, I have a 3.9 GPA, and I should be done with my Bachelor's degree early next year. To set myself apart from others I have taken the initiative in helping coordinate fundraisers for my unit's Marine Corps Ball fund, but I have not done anything in the way of volunteering. With that in mind, would it be necessary to get volunteer hours in order to be selected for something like SWO, Supply, or Aviation? I know that just about any question someone could ask on the topic of becoming an officer has been asked on here, but I cannot for the life of me find any information on this one.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not required at all. As you mentioned yourself, it is just to set one apart from the other applicants. Competition is stiff. But as an active duty Marine no one will hold against you a lack of volunteering at the local hospital, building for habitat humanity or going on a mission trip for a church. Your military experience will break you out. On the other hand, if you have gone above and beyond as a Marine, like the Ball fund raiser or maybe volunteering for a crappy collateral duty, that will help. GOOD LUCK!

Renegade One

None
Only the number of hours required to get through the application process. Currently averages out to about 42.

Everything else you want to volunteer for should be driven by personal interest/motivation/family or unit support.