• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it just me, or are the PRT standards a little imbalanced?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I was commissioned from my ROTC unit when I was 27 and could out-PRT most of my 18 y.o. mid classmates. Myth busted.
I'll try shame as a motivator: Took the PRT on Sunday. Male, 40-44 block. Situps: 96. Pushups: 76. Run: 9:53.

Put down the Play Stations, stop text messaging, knock off the doughnuts, and hit the gym, people!

On second thought, keep the doughnuts - is there nothing they can't do?? :icon_tong

RAS

retired but still flying
None
PRT standards come and go, they've changed a number of times. Work on the areas that you're weak and don't slack on the areas where you excel.

When I retired I was scoring about 290/300. Looking at the current numbers today I'd get about 270/300 with the same performance. The numbers now look more fair than the numbers then; it was just too easy to max push-ups and sit-ups. That said, for me to improve significantly on the run to get that last 10 points would have taken a herculean effort. The numbers now look more balanced.

The Stoic

Anyone know the requirements for OCS? If this has already been answered I didn't find it anywhere. So some light on the subject would be good. Is there a particular score that I need to get and if so is it based of the NAVY PRT website?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I've been bamboozled on more than one board by that exact gross disproportion. That's what I thought this thread would be about in the beginning. I have also done the research and realize that women's muslces and lungs just physiologically do not perform in the same way as mens. However, the flexed arm hang is total BS. I believe it's unrealistic to expect most females to do 20 pullups, but com'on. 10 or 12 even.

As far as the PFT being an indicator of combat conditioning...now there's a battle I'm going to leave up to other folks.

I think there are places that do expect women to perform equal to men. The Virginia Military Institute has equal standards for men and women on the fitness test. http://www.vmi.edu/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=2410

In order to a achieve a passing grade on the VMI Fitness Test which is taken every semester for a P.E. grade, Women (and men) must do a minimum of 6 real pullups, do 60 situps in 2 minutes and run 1.5 miles in 12:00. Women (and men) only score 100 if they do 20 pullups, do 92 situps in 2 minutes and run 1.5 miles in 8:00.

(I still have 6 months to try to max out my pullups! :D)